advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every night we scan the listings on Prime, Netflix and Sky. Is it me or is most of it just a load of crap. We don't like rom-coms, action movies or sci fi. We do like scandi stuff but have watched em all...

Mostly crap... but remember: 25 years ago a really great TV series came along, what, once every 5 years or so, each taking an age to watch @ one episode per week ? Now, amongst all the crap, there a several very entertaining ones every year that can be binge watched if required.

We’re totally spoiled and damaging our brain cells endlessly glued to screens.... (apparently a TV screen or monitor is the only direct source of light we regularly look at ... & very bad in so many ways *).

* would love to quote a source, but I read about this quite some years back & cannot remember it.

A client recommended a Spanish series to me..."Money Heist" It is very good, now hooked.

Hunters is the biggest pile of crap I have ever had to endure.
The holocaust was dreadful enough without inventing atrocities.

Hunters is the biggest pile of crap I have ever had to endure.
The holocaust was dreadful enough without inventing atrocities.

they had commercials for it during the superbowl and that was enough for me to reach a very similar conclusion.

Slightly OT but due to the dearth of good stuff I turned to BBC iPlayer's selection of archive Horizon programmes, one in particular, The race to ruin, about the cold war and particle beam weapons was just superb.

Thanks! Watched it last night. I’ve done a fair bit of sailing, in some rough stuff as well but crikey, these guys really know how to live. It made me feel very insignificant and almost wishing I’d taken a different path.

I had similar feelings. My life is safer, and I'm undoubtedly financially better off, but they've lived way more than I ever have.

Well, maybe not the throwing up bit. It reminds me of a conversation I had with my neighbor who is a keen sailor and had recently sailed from Boston to Bermuda and back. I told him it sounded really exciting and adventurous, but at the back of my mind I was wondering if the reality was 3 weeks of seasickness interspersed with moments of terror. He told me, no, mostly it's just boring.

I’ve not done it unfortunately but friends who’ve completed Atlantic crossings say they are often very dull. At the right time of year the trade winds just take you all the way with little drama. One thing I wish I’d done when I was younger was my Yacht Master. An international passport to travel and work wherever you like. I grew up in Cornwall sailing all the time, just didn’t get round to it.

A few years ago we picked up a boat in Athens, went through the Corinth Canal and it was crash bang wallop the other side. Trying to navigate up the Gulf of Corinth with 60 knot winds on the nose was not something I’d rush to do again. Luckily it was a decent yacht (Jeanneau 53) so could cope with the conditions. I’d have been really bricking it in anything smaller!

Well, maybe not the throwing up bit. It reminds me of a conversation I had with my neighbor who is a keen sailor and had recently sailed from Boston to Bermuda and back. I told him it sounded really exciting and adventurous, but at the back of my mind I was wondering if the reality was 3 weeks of seasickness interspersed with moments of terror. He told me, no, mostly it's just boring.

I could believe that under normal circumstances. Being in a storm on the way to Antarctica might be a different thing though. Not too sure I would get bored in-between chucking up.

Jack

I could believe that under normal circumstances. Being in a storm on the way to Antarctica might be a different thing though. Not too sure I would get bored in-between chucking up.
Jack

At the end of the movie they mention that the voyage from Antarctica to Patagonia was very long and rather dull - there was no footage of that month of sailing. However I think after that Antarctic storm it would take about a month for my heart rate to subside :)

At the end of the movie they mention that the voyage from Antarctica to Patagonia was very long and rather dull - there was no footage of that month of sailing. However I think after that Antarctic storm it would take about a month for my heart rate to subside :)

Yeah very true.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back