advertisement

Naim speakers - I have 'my set'

Sorry to jump in but I'm new to Naim (and decent hifi to be honest) but starting to think about speakers for my system and this thread caught my eye - at the moment, I'm running some Vienna Acoustic Bach Floorstanders - I've had them for since early 2000's, picked up second hand for about £400. They're great - they're easy to listen to though wondering whether to change for some Naim speakers, something a little punchier - what are thoughts here?

My current set up is the XS3 and ND5XS2.

I think it depends on what sound you are looking for. It's a long time since I heard the Bachs, but they were quite warm and smooth sounding and I must admit rather nicely finished. £400 sounds like a veritable bargain for a speaker that has given you over 15 years service. You will find Naim Allaes for around £400 and they will sound punchier, but I suspect if you like the balance of your system you will find them a bit OTT. If you're ever up near Kings Lynn you are welcome to pop round for a listen and see what you think.

To be fair Naim speakers are a bit marmite, as you can see from the oh so helpful comment by abbydog ;) Plus Naim bashing is a sport on here. I suggest you listen to a pair when you get the chance and make up your own mind, but your VA Bachs are very good speakers especially for that price.

Thanks peterm. Like others here, I have always taken the outer measurements on drive units hence wondering about the 7" figure.

I have a pair of the aforementioned Pageants and as well as sounding rather good, the main driver is extraordinarily free moving within its chassis and has a nice, pliable rubber surround. This is the only pair of Mordaunt Shorts I have ever owned but if they are typical of the breed, I can see why they were well thought of. I can imagine with the development you mention, the Naim iteration would be a further improvement on what was a good driver to start with.

LOL, nothing so grand. My partner has a house and I have a house separated by 100 miles or so, we live part time in both. In my house I have a living room (which is my listening room I guess) and an office and both have music in them. In her house we have another system in the living room now as a Bose thingyy and an iPod wasn't cutting it for me. Bentley???? LOL My cars are 13 and 15 years old.. and they're not Bentleys :D

OK I'll let you off :) I like my idea of Chatsworth House having a bunker, I must have a poke around the next time I go. Use some techniques I've learnt playing Hitman 2 to give the tour guide and the security people the slip...

OK I'll let you off :) I like my idea of Chatsworth House having a bunker, I must have a poke around the next time I go. Use some techniques I've learnt playing Hitman 2 to give the tour guide and the security people the slip...

Excellent, I look forward to the news item about it :D

[...] I would just like to know:
1/ is the Mordaunt short driver 7", I thought it was classed as an 8" unit? [...]

I don't know, I was just eyeballing it as 7" when I was at the shop the other day.

This actually brings up something that's been a minor bother (to me) for some time. Woofers described as being (say) 6.5", but when I measure them the actual business part that vibrates is only 5" or whatever.

I haven't lost any sleep over it.

Reminds me of a randy woman on a first date with a guy and asking (I'll paraphrase here, it's a family-friendly forum) "How big's your [woofer]?" and the fella replying 8" when it's merely 5.5" ...

Don't worry, that's the way we're headed :D 135s and SL2s or SBLs

Sounds good (if you forgive the pun), the first part is the crucial part - going active with digital filters will bring unexpected performance from SBL or SL2. Are you planning on 4x 135s? That would be awesome!

Thanks for the comment @tiggers and praise for my speakers - I do like them but they're all I've known if that makes sense - I bought them with the first bit of bonus I'd got in a new job so quite attached to them!

Sounds good (if you forgive the pun), the first part is the crucial part - going active with digital filters will bring unexpected performance from SBL or SL2. Are you planning on 4x 135s? That would be awesome!

Yep, 4 135s ... all in fine fettle after being serviced last year.

Thanks for the comment @tiggers and praise for my speakers - I do like them but they're all I've known if that makes sense - I bought them with the first bit of bonus I'd got in a new job so quite attached to them!

No worries, as said if you're ever up my way come and have a listen. I know what you mean about being attached. I had a set of Kans for years that I bought with my first decent paycheck.

NBLs were the best naim speakers. They should have been part of any 'set'

Loved your sbl set up guide many years ago (not so sure about "now scrub up bitch boy!" bit!!)

Always fancied NBLs but they were just too big to be domestically acceptable.

Never had a proper listen to DBLs but always fancied a pair. I am very wedded to ATC now so this will not happen.

Suggestion for your third system - Linn Akurate System Hub (nee Exakt DSM), Akurate Exaktbox, 2x 250s and the SBL or SL2
Yes indeed, after hearing that last night, I’m wondering which internal organs I could get away with flogging to pay for it!

NBLs were the best naim speakers. They should have been part of any 'set'

Indeed. Heard them once sounding awesome. Had SBLs for many years, they were exciting to listen to yet eventually I found the lack of transparency in the midrange too much to bear. PMC OB1s beat them hands down in that regard. Kept them for a couple of years, then tried Rega R9s which were even better. Now I'm a very satisfied owner of Shahinian Arcs.

Hi Tiggers,

That is a problem you have there. However, out of the kindness of my heart, I will box up my SBLs and give your SL2s house room on a long term loan. I assume you'll pay my petrol money when I come to collect them?

M

FWIW, and I know I’ll end up annoying some folk, but for me the SBL is by far the best of the Naim speakers. Set up well it is coherent, musical, open, agile and fun. The drivers are close enough together to properly integrate (helped by the baffle slope), the cabinet very clever and inert, and the bass deep enough to have some real impact and scale in the right room. Much to my surprise they are very good with valve amps too. My least favourite, by far, are the NBLs which to my ears just sound like three distinct drivers that really shouldn’t be together in one speaker, let alone a couple of feet apart. One of very few speakers I’ve heard multiple times in multiple locations and never wanted to stay in the room with for more than a few minutes. The DBL is better than the NBL, but I still much prefer the coherence and openness of the SBL. The IBL is a likeable little speaker for a tiny flat, but these days SBLs are so devalued why bother, there is likely no difference in price? In the right room (i.e. one where hard against the wall is the best option) I’d argue SBLs were a surprisingly good speaker, far better than many non-Naim fans believe, and don’t assume you need to have Naim kit upstream. I’d very happily use a good valve amp!

advertisement

Back