advertisement

Zu Druid MK VI

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
Has anyone auditioned these, and are they available in the UK, aside from buying direct?

I know they are a marmite speaker but I have the MK IV and what they do well, they do very well. I was advised against the Vs but the VI is supposed to be quite a leap.

I’m not sure they have distribution in the UK anymore. Those dealers that stocked them a few years ago don’t seem to carry the brand anymore.

As you say, a bit of a marmite brand - not one for me as there’s been a bit too much of the kazoo about them when I’ve heard them.

Thanks Keith, would you care to share the relevance of posting measurements of a different speaker to the one I’m asking about?

Allow me to quote the final paragraph of the actual review, that for some reason you neglected to link to:

“Your ears, heart, and mind are far more sensitive and sophisticated measuring tools than any 'scope, calibrated mike, or analyzer—trust them. In my rustic hermitage, and to my ears and heart, Zu Audio's Soul Supremes delivered copious amounts of savory musical connectedness. Highly recommended.”

Thanks I’ll ask. I bought my MK4s from them (s/h) but they weren’t very keen on MK5. AC are pretty much Audio Note or nothing (with a smidgen if Densen), and why not.

I thought of The Audio Counsel (ah, I remember when they were flat earth dealers and sold me a copy of The Flat Response) when I read your first post, but their website doesn’t list Zu as a brand they stock anymore.

I thought of The Audio Counsel (ah, I remember when they were flat earth dealers and sold me a copy of The Flat Response) when I read your first post, but their website doesn’t list Zu as a brand they stock anymore.

agreed but I do think Dave can still get them, but maybe not to audition.

I was told by a friend who owned Zu’s that the guy who designed them had designed exhaust systems in a previous life. Ah, that’s why they sound like they do.

And wasn’t Van Morrison a window cleaner in a previous life ? Not a blowing exhaust but blowing a sax

I was told by a friend who owned Zu’s that the guy who designed them had designed exhaust systems in a previous life. Ah, that’s why they sound like they do.
No he hadn’t but he did ask Ron Griewe to help design the first Druid.

So it turns out Sean Casey is actually a bit of a genius for producing a half decent speaker out of a kazoo and an old bike exhaust.

I auditioned them and thought they were overwhelming - much too forthright for my taste and I do like a revealing speaker.

Can’t see the problem with buying direct myself. You get up to 90 days.

I always aspired to the Druid IVs but events conspired and I ended up with a pair of Soul Superfly about which my only complaint is that, unlike the Druids, they don’t play nice at low volume. Heard the VI at the home of a friend who used to frequent this place far more than me. Electronics were a Primaluna integrated and, I think, a Rega Isis. Significantly, I think they were on a full loom of cable from Zu at a later stage which apparently wrought further significant improvement but when I heard them they were anything but overwhelming. They were very well balanced although I thought them utterly compelling with electronic music whereas previous models I’ve found worked with everything.

Anyone who heard any Zu at the Audio Council hasn't really heard what the Zu speakers sound like.

I had a pair of Druid V's with Dueland Capacitor upgrade (sold to fund an E-MTB which is as equally engaging, with the added benefit of being fitter) and they were stunning, this was further improved using the Zu Event II speaker cable and Varial interconnect.
The Druid V are a 16 ohm load and need to carefully matched with amplification, any source will do whether it Youtube music from a smart TV (which was my main source of music) or from an expensive turntable/streamer/CD player.

The Druid V are tonally rich/dense, timbre accurate, thoroughly engaging, making the presentation intimate experience.
The Omen Definition and Definition IV are more large concert type presentation (think of the old Maxell cassette advert https://images.app.goo.gl/zq9nBmEKZSi32VF59).
Still thoroughly engaging.
It all depends on your listening preferences, or have both if you like an aural clear out now and again, as a change from an intimate presentation

Although I have never auditioned/heard the Druid VI, the one thing I will say, Sean Casey and his team have decided to create this, and from my experience Zu Products, it will be stunning. Sean Casey is an enthusiast who loves music and wants to connect closer and closer to his favourite artists bringing concert memories alive and real in the domestic setting.

A friend who has Druid V with Dueland caps, has an amp with 8 ohm and 16 ohm outputs, he reports that the 8 ohm puts you about 8-10 rows back from the stage but the 16 ohm puts you right on the first couple of rows.

One final thing, Zu speakers were only the speaker that got me dancing, from the way they present the music. If you dont like this level of engagement, then Zu speakers will not be for you.

PS, I could live with any of the Zu speakers, they are that good to my ears, having owned the Druid IV, V, Essence, experience Soul Superfly, Definition II, Definition IV, Soul and Soul Definition.

advertisement

Back