advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished "Stockholm Requiem"...lovely and dark, moody and good plot twists. Interesting characters as well.

The Stranger on Netflix is a pretty good British thriller. Four episodes in and I've no idea what's going on—which is rare for me!

Compared to the abomination that was Sarah Phelps' The Pale Horse on BBC1, it's a work of genius.

Why the BBC couldn't commission something like this rather than taking the excellent Christie novel and changing the plot so much it made no sense while adding supernatural elements that weren't in the book, is a mystery to me.

Stephen

My somewhat out of date updates:

The Stranger : good & worth seeing.
Ragnarok ditto.
Joker : very dark, but magnificent performance from Joaquin Phoenix.
The Man in the High Castle, Season 4: gave up after episode 2, which was disappointing as I loved first three seasons; now enjoying at second attempt (just watched e6).
The New Pope, which is essentially Season 2 of The Young Pope, which must be watched in full first : overall disappointing, as I loved The Young Pope. Far too many episodes building up the John Malkovich character. My suggestion : watch episode 1, then go straight to 7,8 & 9. In a nutshell, the series needs Lenny Belardo (Jude Law) to really shine.
Picard: I’m not really a Trekkie, so just about enjoying.

When I finish High Castle, I’m going to take a break from movies for awhile ...

The Stranger turned out to be a very poor story that tried to be too clever by half.
I really enjoyed The Pale Horse for what it was, never having read Christie.
I liked the last series of TMITHC, cancelling it early focused the writers.

The Stranger turned out to be a very poor story that tried to be too clever by half.
I really enjoyed The Pale Horse for what it was, never having read Christie.
I liked the last series of TMITHC, cancelling it early focused the writers.

The Stranger could, of course, jump the shark. But it's gripping at episode 5 so far.

As for TPH—having read the book, the adaptation was incredibly poor. Just pointless really.

I suspect no-one would watch an original Sarah Phelps' production, so she needs to hang on the coat tails of someone more famous.

Otherwise, why not write something original?

But in itself, did it really make any sense? Especially the ending?

The irony is that I suspect that no-one will go and read the book after watching it either.

Stephen

Watched Hunters on Amazon Prime this weekend. I thought it was pretty good for the majority of the series.
Al Pacino mumbles through most of his dialogue but manages to keep his overacting to a minimum for the most part.
I got a definite Watchmen/comic book vibe. I haven’t checked to see if it is based on a comic though.

Watched Hunters on Amazon Prime this weekend. I thought it was pretty good for the majority of the series.
Al Pacino mumbles through most of his dialogue but manages to keep his overacting to a minimum for the most part.
I got a definite Watchmen/comic book vibe. I haven’t checked to see if it is based on a comic though.

I watched a couple of episodes yesterday. I have a feeling it is terrible/downright offensive, but I haven’t quite made my mind up yet. It is certainly bizarre. For those who haven’t seen it yet it is an almost Tarantino ‘Inglorious Bastards’/Marvel ‘superheroes’/‘I Spit On Your Grave’ video nasty kind of thing set in an idealised late-70s (so plenty of cool visual imagery etc) based around a group of Jewish concentration camp survivors and helpers who hunt down and kill ex-Nazis who have gone to ground in American society. The ‘superhero’ thing is largely in the young lead character’s imagination, but it still feels kind of odd. Predictably very violent and features some thoroughly nasty Auschwitz flashbacks etc. Its on some very dodgy ground IMO, but I’ll no doubt watch a few more episodes out of curiosity.

PS After a quick google it seems I’m far from alone in thinking this one is a bit whiffy, here’s a Guardian review.

Thought Uncut Gems was very good. Adam Sandler as the fast-talking gem trader in a constant financial balancing act with some nasty people is outstanding. Apparently he thought he was as well.
Watched it a couple nights ago. Really enjoyed it. Virtuoso acting from Adam Sandler, but Julia Fox stole my heart, and possibly my nether regions. I checked her bio online, she has definitely not led a sheltered life.

Watched it a couple nights ago. Really enjoyed it. Virtuoso acting from Adam Sandler, but Julia Fox stole my heart, and possibly my nether regions. I checked her bio online, she has definitely not led a sheltered life.

I think it is the sexy lips.

Truth Will Out on More4 is an excellent scandi noir crime thriller...really enjoyed it. Has some nice Swedish humour in it...

Watched 'I’m not Okay with This' on Netflix last night. 7 episodes, 20 minutes per episode. Short but sweet and set-up nicely for another season. Fingers crossed they do commission another one.

Watched Uncut Gems on NF last night. whilst it was a good characterisation of a stereotypical NY Jewish Gem dealer by Adam Sandler, overall it was disappointing.

Far too much camera movement.
Sound was poor especially as they had a LOT of overtalking each other dialogue, with gangsta, Jewish, and hoodlum speak, loadsa swearing etc. Made it hard to follow even after fiddling with Dolby/DTS/PCM settings etc - was muddy.

Prime character was irritating after a while, and i stopped caring about all the stereotypes.
At 2:15, it was 45 mins too long.

Not recommended.

Half-way through watching "The Boys" on Prime. Great stuff and an outstanding reverse on the standard super-hero pap.
Highly recommended, beautifully played but not the faint of heart i.e. quite gory.

The bit with the horny dolphin in the van (Ep 4 or 5) is possibly the maddest bit of TV I've seen for quite a while.

Every night we scan the listings on Prime, Netflix and Sky. Is it me or is most of it just a load of crap. We don't like rom-coms, action movies or sci fi. We do like scandi stuff but have watched em all...

Every night we scan the listings on Prime, Netflix and Sky. Is it me or is most of it just a load of crap. We don't like rom-coms, action movies or sci fi. We do like scandi stuff but have watched em all...

Have you seen "A man Called Ove" ? Not quite rom com but good fun.
Also "Under the Tree" an Icelandic story about a neighbour dispute which gets out of hand as you would expect from the land of Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back