advertisement

Looking at HDD/SSD Streamers

Spesh

pfm Member
Hi guys,

I'm looking at replacing my CD transport with a server/streamer. Two that I'm considering at the moment are the Nova Fidelity X50D and the Bluesound Vault 2i. Both seem to have pros and cons, but I think would have the fairly basic functionality that I require.

These would be feeding into my Ndac + Teddy XPS > Sonneteer Orton > Proac D20R.

I was wondering if anybody had used these units or had the opportunity to test them back to back? I'm open to other recommendations too

Thanks

Anthony

I've had a Bluesound Vault 2 (not 2i) for about 6 months and would struggle to have anything negative to say about it.
Ripped all my CD collection on to the 2tb HDD which was simplicity itself and transferred some hi res files which was equally straightforward.
Supports all the main streaming sites (inc Amazon) as well as Radio Paradise and loads of other radio stations.
Sound wise I don't think it's any better than using a laptop but the bluos app is excellent and also regularly updated.
I find myself listening to stuff that I wouldn't do otherwise as everything is now so simple to access.
I use the optical out into a Rega Dac R which is a definite improvement on the internal Bluesound Dac.
As many on here have said before don't underestimate the importance of a decent app as it really can make or break the whole streaming experience.

You really need to try first hand the control apps... they make or break the streaming experience.

That should be written in capital letters. Can’t be emphasized enough.

Plus look to the future. Just as ripping your music and playing the rips supplanted cd, so is streaming music from the likes of Qobuz and Tidal supplanting that. So, you might want to have a think whether it’s a good idea to mix a ripping box with a streamer. You can do a perfectly good job - in fact in some important ways a better job - of ripping your CDs on a laptop or Mac, and once you’ve got through that, that’s it. Freeing your system from the need for a ripping drive would possibly give your more money and more options. And with an eye to the future, make sure you have viable options for Qobuz, Tidal, Apple etc.. I have hardly played any of my ripped music since I got into Qobuz.

All things considered, if I ditch the Mac Mini I’d probably rip all the CDs first and then buy an Auralic who’s control app seems very good so long as you have an iThing. A second hand Aries seems attractive.

Despite my contributions to other threads, I would also look at Innuos. The Zen Mini probably since it costs least and I have various LPSUs I could use with it.

I have been looking at similar options for ripping my CDs & streaming myself, both the Bluesound Vault & Innuos Zen Mini have been on my radar. I don't own a PC or laptop & have no immediate plans to buy one. I have one query; is there any way to back up the data on the hard drives fitted to these units?

I have been looking at similar options for ripping my CDs & streaming myself, both the Bluesound Vault & Innuos Zen Mini have been on my radar. I don't own a PC or laptop & have no immediate plans to buy one. I have one query; is there any way to back up the data on the hard drives fitted to these units?

Yes, both provide the option to backup to a USB drive. The Zen Mini also allows you to backup to a NAS drive or a file share on a computer.

Just be aware that CD transports are way more ergonomic and “immediate” when playing the physical discs, so it is worthwhile using both streamer and CD transport.

Just been having a look at the Bluesound website, I notice the BluOs app now supports Amazon HD, could be the clincher.
Yep, I think it does. Which puts them ahead of pretty much every other streamer company. Important, because Amazon might wipe out the other players.

Just be aware that CD transports are way more ergonomic and “immediate” when playing the physical discs, so it is worthwhile using both streamer and CD transport.
Sort of defeats the main purpose of ripping the discs though. I have to admit I am struggling to work out what the best solution for myself is, going to be moving into a smaller flat soon so looking into ways of downsizing my set up without losing any of the SQ of my Exposure 3010S2 CD player. A combined CD ripper & streamer into a good quality compact DAC looks like a good solution.

I wouldn’t worry about that just yet.

Why not? Tidal and Qobuz are struggling. Roon and JRiver, two of the best media players, have both been cold shouldered by Amazon who have their own hardware and software to sell. Linn can’t support Amazon. Naim can’t. Auralic can’t. Innuos can’t. Who apart from Bluesound can? Amazon have huge resources, including owning the cloud servers on which other streaming services keep their data. Not a good time to spend big bucks on a server imo. Amazon is particularly worrying because they are so good at voice input, which will lead to an enormous loss of diversity imo.

Sort of defeats the main purpose of ripping the discs though. I have to admit I am struggling to work out what the best solution for myself is, going to be moving into a smaller flat soon so looking into ways of downsizing my set up without losing any of the SQ of my Exposure 3010S2 CD player. A combined CD ripper & streamer into a good quality compact DAC looks like a good solution.

If you're concerned primarily about sound quality, I'd keep the CDP.

Why not? Tidal and Qobuz are struggling. Roon and JRiver, two of the best media players, have both been cold shouldered by Amazon who have their own hardware and software to sell. Linn can’t support Amazon. Naim can’t. Auralic can’t. Innuos can’t. Who apart from Bluesound can? Amazon have huge resources, including owning the cloud servers on which other streaming services keep their data. Not a good time to spend big bucks on a server imo. Amazon is particularly worrying because they are so good at voice input, which will lead to an enormous loss of diversity imo.
If all true this is grim, and makes any player that isn’t a computer or an actual CD player a really bad idea right now.

Why not? Tidal and Qobuz are struggling.

TIDAL is growing and is actually turning a profit. Qobuz is growing. I have no idea whether or not Qobuz is profitable. Both TIDAL and Qobuz's libraries are better curated than Amazon's and as you say the current device support is weak, so despite the price difference I doubt that Amazon's entry into the high resolution / lossless streaming market poses an imminent threat.

Roon and JRiver, two of the best media players, have both been cold shouldered by Amazon who have their own hardware and software to sell. Linn can’t support Amazon. Naim can’t. Auralic can’t. Innuos can’t. Who apart from Bluesound can? Amazon have huge resources, including owning the cloud servers on which other streaming services keep their data. Not a good time to spend big bucks on a server imo. Amazon is particularly worrying because they are so good at voice input, which will lead to an enormous loss of diversity imo.

The price for entry to Amazon's music streaming service is Alexa integration. I cannot comment on JRiver, but Roon, Linn, Naim and Innuos could all do this, if they wanted. Auralic is already working on it. Amazon does indeed have huge resources. Anyone who is at all concerned about this should shop elsewhere or subscribe to a different music streaming service. It's entirely your choice.

advertisement

Back