advertisement

Steely Dan- Any good?

Noopz

pfm Member
I've just heard steely dan for the first time ever- a track called Do it again.

I've had it on repeat for the last hour on my PC....have ordered 'Can't buy a thrill' as a result, just for this track. Funky as hell!!!!!!

Whats their best album?

Cheers

The one that goes I'm a fool to do your dirtywork oh yeah is one of my favorite songs.

I bought a few albums. They seem to have one or two standout tracks and the rest aren't as appealing.
IMO you may be better served with a "best of" album.

Aja is probably the most musically sophisticated but earlier stuff is more direct with more rock less jazz influence. Would suggest starting with a best of compilation and seeing what tickes your fancy.

Yes. Brilliant. Start with Pretzel Logic and Countdown to Ecstasy. The antidote to the Eagles. They know the sickness.

BTW, the bloke that plays the great electric sitar solo on 'do it again' is now a counter-espionage expert for the CIA. (Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter)

Know the feeling
"Countdown to Ecstacy" was their first album I heard & it rocked me to my toes
One of the few groups that I replace with CD as well as vinyl
Well worth a listen to all of them, ...........& if you like that ..

Also worth a search is "New York Rock & Soul Revue"

Get them all.

Early LPs feature Jeff Porcaro and Michael McDonald before they were famous.

Later ones feature cool jazz sessionists Chuck Rainey, Steve Gadd, Wayne Shorter.

They came up with their own chords.

Tracks in their albums reveal nuances as your hifi kit gets better.
Yet songs are easy and foottappingly good even on first listen on a crappy radio.

'Peg'
is a good example.

Also the origin of the band's name is wicked.

Yeah as said before on this thread I like all the original albums but think Donald Fagens solo albums are a bit special particularly "Nightfly" which is also a very well recorded piece of work

Pretzel Logic is one of my all time favourite albums. Oh, and for a geeky point: I also use it for "testlistening" due to the dynamic recording.

/Mirland

I've just heard steely dan for the first time ever- a track called Do it again.

I've had it on repeat for the last hour on my PC....have ordered 'Can't buy a thrill' as a result, just for this track.

Their first single and the first track on the first album. Great discovery. I remember hearing it for the first time too. Take the opportunity to go with them chronologically then you'll appreciate the developments. If you buy the remastered CDs then the inside of the book carries a continuing story between albums.

Personal favourites are "Thrill" and "Aja". I thought that "Two Against Nature" was an album too far and I never play it.

The "Citizen Steely Dan" is good as a complete works and also some rarities like the coked up, live Bodhizatva (sp?) and the wonderfully stoned introduction. It could have been even better if it had included "Come On and Sail The Waterway".

Enjoy.

Yes. Brilliant. Start with Pretzel Logic and Countdown to Ecstasy. The antidote to the Eagles. They know the sickness.

BTW, the bloke that plays the great electric sitar solo on 'do it again' is now a counter-espionage expert for the CIA. (Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter)

He also plays the guitar solo on Donna Summer's "Hot Love".

My favourite has always been 'Katy Lied'. For the really die hard Dan fan's there is a DVD in the 'Classic Albums' series on how they did 'Aja'. Included are a couple of live in the studio takes done today that are awsome!

JohanR

Yes I beleive it is a requirement of the CIA to have been an entertainer before they offer you employment.

Clowns are especially sought after I have heard.

Steely Dan are one of the greats, true stalwarts.

advertisement

Back