advertisement

Really fabulous really cheap (power or integrated) amps

The Amptastic website still exists, but the 'Buy Now' buttons do nothing (and haven't for about a year) and nobody answers at the 'Contact Us' form or the listed email addresses. There seem to be plenty of TA2020 chips available on eBay, but maybe they are clones or knock offs.
Hi,
May be of interest :
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-hist...ame-tripath-technology-ta2020-audio-amplifier

Can purchase TA2020 from :
http://store.sure-electronics.com/product/AA-AB32155

Regards,
Shadders.

Come to think of it there are quite a few "sleeper" MF amps around... P170, P270 and A370 even.

The big problem is that being so old now and running so hot any you find WILL need a complete rebuild. If it's already been done they won't be cheap and particularly in the case of the 270 and 370 it will be expensive! 10 X 22,000uF caps PER CHANNEL in the A370! With a 1KVA toroid... per channel! If you can do the work yourself though then the two biggest MF mosfet amps (other than the rare SA470 and hens teeth 570) are worth looking at. Will give Krell etc a good run for its money;)

The cheapest to most expensive are basically the same design with bigger power supplies and more output mosfets in parallel as you pay more. P140/150 quite "valvey" in some respects and about 70WPC. B200 is same power amp but with basically an A1 pre amp section to make it an integrated.

There's an old thread I started in the classic area in which I go into some detail about old MF amps. https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/vintage-musical-fidelity-mosfet-amplifier-guide.228290/

Cheap big traditional amps, which precludes all the chip amps, good as they are, might include Yamaha. Some big amps for not much. Fans of the JVC 1010 should check out its predecessor the AX3 (?) and similar. These are for vtenners.

Very good to have these ideas. I can wait until good looking clean examples appear at a reasonable price.

Give us a clue as to what you think cheap is then - there's one on eBay now for £350 BIN

Regards

Richard
Sub £200 is cheap. Subject to age and condition of course. £350 for a 20 year old amp that was only twice that brand new and may need a service is hardly cheap.

I have two of the original T-amps from Sonic Impact - on is running off a wall wart running my Fostex 166 as centre in my TV system. The other lives in the loft, running off a Skynet SNP-8080 SMPSU which works really well, driving my bathroom speakers - totally reliable for years now. I have a couple of Muse T-Amps that are the equal of the Amptastic, but somewhat cheaper at the time. I built a useful power amp using Hypex uCD modules for very little money that would drive my ML Summits.

The Leak Stereo 30 my dad had was truly awful - made me realise that amplifiers didn't all sound the same, I picked up a Leak Stereo 20 for £30 including power amp when I was at Uni in 1980 - we did the comparison - what on earth were Leak on at that time?

Sugdens A21 and A48 were always good. I preferred the Pioneer SA-6500 I bought when I compared it to the A&R A60 and there still seem to be some about - seem to fetch about £160 now, but when mine went wrong in the early 80s the parts were unavailable so a risky purchase.

Some of the 'unloved' Naims like the NAP90 tend to be quite reasonable.

advertisement

Back