advertisement

SKY 3 year offer too good to be true? I'm severely tempted.

Mike Reed

pfm Member
Recently had a mail-shot from Sky offering unlimited bb, TV via satellite dish and anytime calls incl. mobiles. £26 p. mth, guaranteed for 3 years AND keep my phone number. Set-up fee £25, which is fine.

Been with Virgin for a decade or more, and our m'thly cost is going up to £45.50 for 30 gig. bb + the same. That's a swingeing increase, which they frequently try on every year or 18 months.

Am hesitant to ditch Virgin but our recorder box is a joke (records stuff by itself and we need 2 remotes for vol. + other facilities. Otherwise it's good, reliable (apart from loss of internet for short periods on occasion) and 30 gig. is okay.

Seems too good to be true; is it? I have little knowledge of these things and wouldn't change if Virgin recognised loyalty. Chap phoning back on Saturday afternoon. Obs. shall phone Virgin (again!) to negotiate but they simply delay increases (as they did in September) or offer some other half-eaten carrot.

Any advice welcome please.

I am using Now broadband (which is a Sky offshoot) and its been good. When the deal is up I will have another think but your deal does look tempting and if its still available I will be tempted.

Get Sky,

It is easy to use, lots of options to add.

I have HD, Box Sets, Sports, basically everything except the movies.

The choice is endless, sports coverage of GP, Cricket and Golf is brill, oh yes and there is football.

Box sets and catch up are simple to use and there are thousands of items to watch.

The menu system is the best around, will even suggest things you might like after it sees your viewing habits.

Just get the lot, you know it makes sense :D

Sky is worth it for the Q box and interface alone, I was holding off until Murdoch croaked or sold up so took the plunge last October when I moved and think it's fantastic.

Don't care what anyone says but the Sky HD channels look better than the Virgin ones as well.

The Sky Q box is simplicity itself to use. It also records up to 6 programmes simultaneously which Mrs S loves. Our Q box is full of Scandinavia-murder type rubbish (imho). Don’t say you weren’t warned :)

It is easy to use, lots of options to add.
I have HD, Box Sets, Sports, basically everything except the movies.
The choice is endless, sports coverage of GP, Cricket and Golf is brill, oh yes and there is football.

Thanks, but only interested in tennis; no films, box sets or whatever. However, great recommendation.

Don't care what anyone says but the Sky HD channels look better than the Virgin ones as well.

Well, that's comfort indeed, because I was concerned about losing the definition and clarity of Virgin (compared to my feeble Freeview).

The Sky Q box is simplicity itself to use. It also records up to 6 programmes simultane

Not sure the Q box comes with it, because they mention 'record two, watch one', which is what we have and is sufficient.

Didn't expect this amount of positivity; thought I'd be warned about shocking service or whatever ! Thanks all; any more?

Not sure if it's unique to the Q box but it's the EPG and interface I like over Virgin, much faster and more intuitive than the Virgin one.

The voice recognition button and search is also quite nifty.

Mike, could you post a link to that deal please, or even just a photo of the leaflet? My Virgin deal is due to balloon in a couple of weeks.

The V6 box from virgin is much better than the previous box if you dont have one you could probably get one from virgin for free. Just bear in mind the sky broadband is ADSL and the virgin is cable. I know which I prefer.

This will of course basically come down to how much TV you use and how much broadband you use. In this house we watch virtually no live TV, infact last year the only terrestrial we watched was Masterchef Australia'. Our average broadband usage is 26-30 gigs download a day. No one else in area comes even close to virgin in terms of speed (360Mbs) so for me a few extra quid a month for what is essentially our primary source of entertainment and work, well its worth every penny.

Mike, also check exactly what you mean by 30gig. This means nothing in terms of broadband speed. You might actually mean 30MBs or 300Mbs download speed, in either case this smashes anything sky can offer out of the water. If you actually mean 3MBs or 30Mbs then yes you can probably get some competitive deals out there.

The V6 box from virgin is much better than the previous box if you dont have one you could probably get one from virgin for free. Just bear in mind the sky broadband is ADSL and the virgin is cable. I know which I prefer.

This will of course basically come down to how much TV you use and how much broadband you use. In this house we watch virtually no live TV, infact last year the only terrestrial we watched was Masterchef Australia'. Our average broadband usage is 26-30 gigs download a day. No one else in area comes even close to virgin in terms of speed (360Mbs) so for me a few extra quid a month for what is essentially our primary source of entertainment and work, well its worth every penny.

I think the v6 box is awful compared to Sky.

Sky are doing 145 Mbps fibre at the moment.

Having gone from Sky HD to TalkTalk YouView to Freesat it's the Sky box that I find the least unfriendly / painful to use.

How long are you tied into a contract on that deal Mike? If it's 3 years I'd be a wary of committing for that long, especially if on the TV side you aren't getting anything more than the freebie channels.

I think the v6 box is awful compared to Sky.

Sky are doing 145 Mbps fibre at the moment.

I've no doubt, as I say it very much comes down to how much live tv one watches. If mike can get fibre from sky in his area certainly a consideration. But if not, personally I would not touch the offer with a barge pole.

Broadband speed is massively overhyped, I'm able to watch Netflix and Amazon UHD with out any issues over a 40 Mbps 4G connection as I can't get any adsl/fibre/cable here.

I've got the 2TB Sky Q box and it's brilliant. The menu on Sky has always been easy to use and picture quality in 4K is razor sharp on my Sony Bravia tv. On the 2TB box you can record 6 programmes at the same time too, not as I ever have but I have recorded 3 and it just works. I badgered Sky down on my subscription as I've been with them for years too.

Not sure the Q box comes with it, because they mention 'record two, watch one', which is what we have and is sufficient.

Didn't expect this amount of positivity; thought I'd be warned about shocking service or whatever ! Thanks all; any more?

Sounds like they are offering the older technology Sky+ box. Nothing particularly wrong with that but it is pretty old now the Q box is a big upgrade on it. I suspect they will try to up sell you to the Q system if you take out the offer and only you can decide if it is worth it.

The major benefit of the Q system to me at least is it is one central box and up to 3 linked mini boxes that can be used on their own wireless network around the house with full independent access to all your channels and recorded programs. You can also use tablets and computers on your home network to watch TV and recorded programs as well.

Broadband speed is massively overhyped, I'm able to watch Netflix and Amazon UHD with out any issues over a 40 Mbps 4G connection as I can't get any adsl/fibre/cable here.

That's great well done. In my household of four we are touching on 30gigs download a day. That's not possible on 4G. Hence back to my first post what is more important to Mike, if he means he has 300Mbs download then I am willing to bet a pint he would be sourly pissed to have that cut to 30.

More over, 'unlimited' can mean a whole lot of things. I have never run into an issue with Virgin even when for instance I download two games in a day and hit 120 gigs in one day. I wonder if Sky would be so understanding? (not saying they wouldn't)

That's great well done. In my household of four we are touching on 30gigs download a day. That's not possible on 4G. Hence back to my first post what is more important to Mike, if he means he has 300Mbs download then I am willing to bet a pint he would be sourly pissed to have that cut to 30.

Why is it not possible, I'm downloading around 600 GB and uploading around 300 GB per month over 4G.

For that money each month I suspect he's on the old 30Mbps contract so moving to sky broadband is unlikely to be an issue for him.

advertisement

Back