advertisement

Bloody Valentines bloody day.

Heard a "factoid" on "Steve Wright in the afternoon" just now that 53% of women say they would end the relationship if Valentines day was forgotten by partner!! Yet another reason to stay single...

It's a saints day, part of the Christian calendar, like shrove Tuesday.

"Saint Valentine was a clergyman – either a priest or a bishop – in the Roman Empire who ministered to persecuted Christians. He was sent to jail for performing weddings for couples during a time when new marriages were outlawed in ancient Rome. He was martyred and his body buried at a Christian cemetery on the Via Flaminia close to the Ponte Milvio to the north of Rome, on February 14, which has been observed as the Feast of Saint Valentine (Saint Valentine's Day) since 496 AD. "

His relics are supposed to be in St Luke's RC church (Blessed John Dun Scotus) in the Gorbals, Glasgow.

Apparently the relics (forearm) first went to Saint Francis RC church (my local church when I went to school and lived there) in the Gorbals but they were later moved to St Luke's.

"St Valentine's remains were brought to Glasgow by Franciscan monks who were impressed by the faith of locals. His bones were originally taken to St Francis' Church in 1868 where they were contained before being moved to the former St Luke's Church on Ballater Street in 1993."

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/story-st-valentine-remains-gorbals-12603790

Heard a "factoid" on "Steve Wright in the afternoon" just now that 53% of women say they would end the relationship if Valentines day was forgotten by partner!! Yet another reason to stay single...

Almost certainly in my wife's case as it is also her birthday - born on Decimalisation Day she was.

Regards

Richard

I'm continually bemused by the gullibility of people who fall for yet another commercial invention. Like Father's Day, Halloween, Mother's Day (as it has become now) and of course Black Friday.

Agree apart from Halloween - Most kids love it, and when out trick or treating with my son I've noticed some adults do too!

Just one question for you grumpy old fishes...

C0w8Z3a.jpg

advertisement

Back