advertisement

Big Thief

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
I’ve been playing the new Big Thief album on repeat today, their second great album of 2019.

We all collectively spend so much time listening to or watching bands who made their best music 20+ years ago that it’s pretty wonderful to hear a band doing it now.

Here’s a clip of them on Colbert last night. A very different band, but this song seems to have something of the intensity I felt when I first saw The Pixies. Great lyrics as well.

I wasn’t sure just voice, guitar, bass, drums would ever excite me again but this really hits the spot.

Kevin

Aren’t they wonderful? Capacity was my lp of ‘17 by a good margin. UFOF took me a little longer to get into but is all the more rewarding for it, and throughly enjoying the latest cut in the car today, looking forward to sitting down with it later on headphones.

Funnily enough I couldn’t get into her solo joint. I found it frustrating - for me their sound really holds together as a whole, her voice, sure, but WITH that guitar work and the shimmering, ever evolving percussion.

They’re pretty much out on their own at the moment for me.

Heard that track on the radio and I'm buying this album. Cheers for the reminder.

I haven't gotten really really into any band or artist in quite a few years. I'm past due fan boy status

There are a couple of tracks on her solo album, Abysskiss, that are also on UFOF (Terminal Paradise and From) and they are both better second time around. UFOF is a great record and I've not had a chance to listen to their latest so that's something to look forward to. I think I'll just get the CD without listening to it on Spotify.

Every time I see a film of them playing this song it gets mightier.

Sadly I'm working when they play the UK this month - anyone going??

Kevin

I've just seen these very different versions of Not.

They are turning into a really great band - at least as defined by a 60 something.

New record out this week. The initial tracks sound as excellent as I'd hoped. They seem to be getting better and better.

It may be ( or almost certainly is) my age but great bands don't really seem to exist in the way they did when I was younger. Big Thief seem to be about as close as anyone gets with that sense of the band being more than the sum of the parts

Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You [VINYL]: AmazonSmile: CDs & Vinyl

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A friend of mine reckons they are the best band around in the last 10 years. I think he’s probably right. The new album is excellent, a little bit of pruning may have helped?

Last edited:
Nowadays I listen mostly to Classical, some Jazz and Traditional, and my favourite Alternative and Rock from when I was young.
Only a few "new" bands and singer-songwriters have attracted my attention; Big Thief is one of them.

advertisement

Back