advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCF0721_800px_hands-on.jpg

One from the weekend: StevieD of this parish has a look at a new sports car.

(NB. next time this very steering wheel is used, it'll be in pursuit of 1000mph...)

There was an article about the Orford Ness lighthouse in The Times yesterday. Could be days, or a few weeks. The sea is already chewing at the foundations.

There was an article about the Orford Ness lighthouse in The Times yesterday. Could be days, or a few weeks. The sea is already chewing at the foundations.

The owners have known it’ll happen since they bought it in 2013 (?), and, although it’ll be very sad indeed, I’ve made the most of the old girl over the last two years.

For anyone who’s interested... I’m doing one of these trips on Sunday 26th April.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/events/5ce25ca1-c346-46af-aaf4-32396497ec8e/pages/details

@Lefty

I believe that he had intended to take it down and rebuild it further inland, but the costs and the relevant permissions were too onerous. The beacon section on top weighs 13 tonnes.

I believe that he had intended to take it down and rebuild it further inland, but the costs and the relevant permissions were too onerous. The beacon section on top weighs 13 tonnes.

Yes, and the damage to the land to, from and around the lighthouse would be unacceptable. It’s an SSSI, NNR and a wonderful place. I’ll have to find some other interesting lighthouses!

The one at Happisburgh, which is very similar, 1790, has got a few years left, and it's very photogenic. It too will go eventually.

The one at Happisburgh, which is very similar, 1790, has got a few years left, and it's very photogenic. It too will go eventually.

Just feels like a long and painful drive, especially to arrive before sunrise. I’d have to leave at least two hours before sunrise, and would then have a two hour drive home via a busy Naaarich and the dreaded A140 :(

I might have to venture to Mistley and Harwich soon.

You must be Ipswichish for work. Crazy how long anything takes once you need to get past Norwich.

I’m about four miles south west of Stowmarket. Takes me 15 minutes to get to the bottom of the A140, and then it’s a cross of fingers for the traffic.

The owners have known it’ll happen since they bought it in 2013 (?), and, although it’ll be very sad indeed, I’ve made the most of the old girl over the last two years.

For anyone who’s interested... I’m doing one of these trips on Sunday 26th April.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/events/5ce25ca1-c346-46af-aaf4-32396497ec8e/pages/details

@Lefty

That is incredibly sad news :(

Depending on how school holidays fall, the 26th of April could be do-able. I'll have a chat with my wife and let you know. Thanks for the heads-up. Much appreciated Tony.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back