advertisement

Dental hygienists - are they really worthwhile?

I went to a Dental Hygeinist many years ago and she did the classic job of de-scaling.. cleaning.. digging about and polishing. I have to say my mouth felt much better after.

I spent a few quid on one more recenty and decided it was a waste of money.

The question surely is whether the hygeinists are crap, or whether my improved cleaning.. especially with a decent electric brush.. renders them irrelevant for me?

This is why my dentist said that despite good cleaning, there will inevitably be a slow build up of scale which only the high pressure water cleaning of the hygienist can clear away, and that it’s worth doing once a year because this scale hardens and can have bad health consequences. I didn’t ask what the bad consequences were - I will look into that.

This is why my dentist said that despite good cleaning, there will inevitably be a slow build up of scale which only the high pressure water cleaning of the hygienist can clear away, and that it’s worth doing once a year because this scale hardens and can have bad health consequences. I didn’t ask what the bad consequences were - I will look into that.

This is pretty much what my dentist and hygienist said. In particular inside the lower teeth I get some buildup of scale despite regular brushing flossing etc. It needs mechanical intervention, you could try it yourself I guess but I don’t fancy it.

The scale gives somewhere for tooth attacking bacteria to hide. Same goes for those chewing at your gums.

Is there a Karcher attachment?

advertisement

Back