advertisement

Audiophiles and Snake Oil...

His presentation was somehow very irritating, but not wanting to shoot the messenger, some of what he said was right.
I believe that we do accept some errors, but not others and this maybe listener dependant. I realise that timing was his thing, but we can only know if it is important to us, is by listening.

I quite like Hans. Some of what he says is no doubt true. The way he dealt with recording was interesting. Although music through hi-fi can sound excellent, it is never lifelike.

I dislike the very short jingle that separates his topics/chapters. And I switched off when he flogged something towards the end.

Jack

I quite like Hans. Some of what he says is no doubt true. The way he dealt with recording was interesting. Although music through hi-fi can sound excellent, it is never lifelike.

I dislike the very short jingle that separates his topics/chapters. And I switched off when he flogged something towards the end.

Jack

Jack

The jingle grated a bit with me too, but maybe that's because given the title for his video I watched this expecting him to tackle the snake oil products, sellers and foo, but he didn't really.

At least he's honest about his view.

I don't rate him or his products though, the PS Audio DACs sound bloody awful.

“They make a different but I can’t understand why”

Good laugh, quality engineer there

Quality rip-off, when I pay 1 € for my box of 10 fuses.
I guess audiofool fuse merchants pay even less before they stick fancy tags on them.

“They make a different but I can’t understand why”

Good laugh, quality engineer there
"That's an odd effect I'm seeing - I can't understand it" is a rather frequent occurrence for the working engineer. It certainly was for me when I was at the bench.

However the newly practicing engineer quickly gets to know that there's so many "oh, I made a mistake" reasons to work through carefully before thinking that something new might have been discovered. And my experience was that it always was my mistake - a pity as there was never a basis for me getting a Nobel Prize for publishing some new and exciting science.

Unfortunately many people jump straight over all of the "cock-up" possibilities into the "exciting new science" that they can sell. It's always just possible there is some new science out there; but the amazing density of Nobel Prize candidate effects in audio products I have seen promoted over the years does somewhat stretch a reasonable person's credulity.

I like people who are humble enough to say 'I know there is a difference but I don't understand it'. The people I have no time for are the ones who refuse to acknowledge obvious differences because their textbooks say they shouldn't exist. Especially when they are vocal and condescending about it. All they are doing is broadcasting their own ignorance.

I like people who are humble enough to say 'I know there is a difference but I don't understand it'. The people I have no time for are the ones who refuse to acknowledge obvious differences because their textbooks say they shouldn't exist. Especially when they are vocal and condescending about it. All they are doing is broadcasting their own ignorance.

Hear hear!

Not at all , again he's just generalising. Some of the best speakers ive ever heard , and use , are domesticated studio monitors.

no you would be shocked how bad most 'professional' studio monitors are - for some bizarre reason audio people have this mystical reverence for engineers and the like - but the engineers and producers are generally VERY clueless even about gain staging to some degree. it's amazing the number of times i a signal will get EQed and re-EQed in the studio. I'd say this fellow knows what he's talking about when it comes to recording.

Jack

you can say that again

advertisement

Back