advertisement

Music Books

Sid Smith’s comprehensive book on King Crimson is worth a read if you’re a fan.

Also

Jon Anderson and The Warriors - the road to Yes

Stephen
Stephen ,
Sorry man but
Jon%20Anderson%20paperback%20FC3-01.jpg
this is not a good read.
At best it's a long hall flight look before one goes to bed.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My life in the audio retail and recording business from 1974 until I left the London rat race In 1981 might be a good read.
EMI put the nail in my companies coffin
They were DER Television Rentals.

I saw John Anderson at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.. because a friend and Yes fan had a spare ticket. I was polite... but unimpressed. I went to the gents where two blokes were in hysterics and said. 'Sod this.... Pub...' I wished I could join them..

Mrs Mull presented me with .The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions', by Mark Lewison. ISBN 9780600635611 as part of my Christmas stuff. Basically a diary of the Beatles Recording Sessions.

I've only dipped in so far.. but it's a fascinating read. Not only about the Beatles.. but also about the ferment which surrounded the 'Merseybeat' explosion.. with the Beatles, The Fourmost, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Biily J Kramer etc. all queuing up to record at Abbey Rd. OK. Much of it is now seen as 'pop pap'. but at the time it represented a huge shift away from basically American Pretty Boys called Bobby. It was a major shift iPop music... and led to something much more profound by the Beatles.

Sorry, I've not been back through the entire thread, but Thomas Dolby's 'Speed of Sound' was great.

He's had such a wide and varied career, from musician to Silicon Valley and beyond, it's a fascinating read.

The Speed of Sound: Breaking the Barriers between Music and Technology: A Memoir

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1785783173/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have just purchased the Pete Paphides book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1529404436/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The prospect of buying this today was the only thing that got me through yesterday's tooth extraction with snapped roots.......with Steve Wright on the the dentist's radio.

I've only read the first 20 pages but it's already had me laughing a lot.

Cheers

Tony

A good egg is Pete. His Needle Mythology label is starting off very well, releasing stuff right up my street.

A brummie too. I used to buy his Perturbed fanzine back in the early 90s, and it was clear he could write. Still remember he had some great lyrics to 'Ironic Pop Song' by REM.

Unable to work as I have woken up with a fever. Don’t feel ill but....
So I have been looking for things to read during my seven days of quarantine.
Found this thread and have now bought a couple of books to see me through.
For anyone interested in classical music and it’s recording I have also picked out from my bookcase to read again,
‘Music makers on record’ by Sufi Raj Grubb. Only available second hand.
He was a producer for EMI in the late 50’s, 60’s and 70’s
Not a huge amount about recording technique but a lot about great musicians and the recordings they made together.

advertisement

Back