advertisement

The Wam/Kegworth HIFI show 2020

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the middle of February would be "up in time" for a show happening in mid March?

People need to make plans to attend this show. The lack of solid information is lamentable.

Yes, an earlier website with the basics would be great. But not much changes from year to year. Please remember this is a show put on by enthusiasts at their own expense, so make allowances for that and perhaps be prepared for the benefits of a "homely" show rather than commercial glitz and being sold to:

Its at the Kegworth Hotel and Conference Centre, Packington Hill, Kegworth, Derby DE74 2DF
It is on 15th March 2020
It will start at 10:00am
It will finish at 5:00pm
There will be over 40 systems to listen to
It is at a hotel therefore there will be a bar and food available

Bring some music, bring an open mind, enjoy the music and banter as appropriate.
Look forward to seeing you there.

And it is no secret that Ivor and Gilad visited on many occasions

Really? I've been at 7 or 8 shows and never saw either of them - I'm sure they would have made themselves known to a Linn exhibitor?
The engineering team bit is true, of course, they spent an hour in my room listening to my Exakt filters for the PMC Twenty.26. Nerve wracking!

Please see below which has been posted by the Wam owner about 14 hours ago . Full confirmation that the show is booked and will go ahead plus some details as to when the Wam Show website page will be available . Given that Peter will be recovering as noted please be patient . If you really need to know anything please feel free to contact George47 or even me and we will try and get answers . Parking at Kegworth is really excellent with a very large free space and if needed overspill on the roads .

"
Thank you George for the note above on here and PFM.....they have been busy. I fully understand the need for information and everything will be ready on Saturday 1st Feb. The show was a sell out not long after last years event which was a huge success and we have plenty of time to make sure all rooms are allocated properly and the BIG Systems are given the correct space.

It is and will remain the most unique event of its kind anywhere in the world, showcasing the best of hifi sound by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. It's trademark, a relaxed and friendly atmosphere where friends get together and play immense music through amazing systems.

The reason why I have put both Saturday and Sunday is that we have an increasing amount of visitors who want to come and see/listen to the set up (which we all agree is the fun day.....night!!) Some of you even make it a three day event, well why not? I believe in flexibility and as I book the hotel for two full days, there is availability on the Friday too and more are enquiring every year.

As per last year no tickets are issued, you simply turn up and pay at the door and as ever there is FREE PARKING.

Payment for rooms etc. as per last year will be via BACS and the spreadsheet which along with an updated site will be available on Saturday 1st Feb

Friday 13th - Turn up and have a great dinner and a few beers with the early doors crowd, book through me via PM
Saturday 14th - Set up, help with lifting gear, have a few beers, watch the rugby, listen to some great sounds, food and banter (Open to anyone who pays Sundays entrance fee if not exhibiting)
Sunday 15th - Open to the public, massive sell out event, then for our fantastic traditional curry (may need a bigger restaurant this year).
Monday 16th - Pack up and drive safely home

Hope that satisfies the grumpy old farts!! Can't quite believe (however I should know by now) all the negativity created by leaving it till now to get started. It means that its considered the most important event and that by leaving it to announce its already created a buzz.

Long live The Wam.

PS. Writing this while on morphine as just had one knee replaced and the other a half knee inserted yesterday."

Things are starting to happen now with the support charity, Dementia UK, named. We will be having a charity bring and buy sale and a record cleaning station with normal and ultrasonic cleaning of your precious vinyl. All the other activities are progressing. Pages are being updated/written. I am aware that a few companies will be along as members of the public. And it is no secret that Ivor and Gilad visited on many occasions and we had most of the Linn engineering team at Scalford with an impressive demo (but no selling!). So Linnfomaniac83 no bias here especially as we have the Linn forum at the Wam. We had a cracking active Linn system there a few years back and there will be wammers there who can help set things up. Next year?
I’ll definitely try and make it work, work depending!

We had a cracking active Linn system there a few years back and there will be wammers there who can help set things up. Next year?

We've had a number of Linn fronted active systems over the past few years (in fact, 6 out of the last 7 years) and this year will be no exception. Just trying to decide which pair of speakers to bring along from the ever lengthening list of non-Linn speakers with Exakt designs available :)

... The show was a sell out not long after last years event ...

As per last year no tickets are issued, you simply turn up and pay at the door and as ever there is FREE PARKING ...

Sunday 15th - Open to the public, massive sell out event ...

Hope that satisfies the grumpy old farts!! Can't quite believe (however I should know by now) all the negativity created by leaving it till now to get started.

I take it when he says the show's a sell out, he means that the list of exhibitors is full?

I've been to Scalford once - 2013 I think. It was really excellent, but sadly the 600 mile round trip along with life/work etc. prevented me attending since.

Now that I'm retired, I'd like to go to Kegworth this year. But I have to say I'm a little anxious about the 'turn up on the day' thing. Especially since it seems that attendance has been growing in the last couple of years. There's presumably a limit to the number of people physically allowed into the building at once - fire regs etc. I wouldn't like to book a hotel room and go all that way, just to discover that I couldn't get in. (The Scalford show I attended was packed out, and people keep saying that the numbers attending have been going up in the last couple of years. And the owner himself refers above to the Sunday as a "massive sell out event", which is a little worrying.)

Maybe I'm just being negative. Probably because I'm a grumpy old fart.

I take it when he says the show's a sell out, he means that the list of exhibitors is full?

I've been to Scalford once - 2013 I think. It was really excellent, but sadly the 600 mile round trip along with life/work etc. prevented me attending since.

Now that I'm retired, I'd like to go to Kegworth this year. But I have to say I'm a little anxious about the 'turn up on the day' thing. Especially since it seems that attendance has been growing in the last couple of years. There's presumably a limit to the number of people physically allowed into the building at once - fire regs etc. I wouldn't like to book a hotel room and go all that way, just to discover that I couldn't get in. (The Scalford show I attended was packed out, and people keep saying that the numbers attending have been going up in the last couple of years. And the owner himself refers above to the Sunday as a "massive sell out event", which is a little worrying.)

Yeah, the boss used the same words last year and it confused a few.

"Sold Out" means the exhibitors rooms are taken (but there have been 2 or 3 drop outs this week, so if anyone fancies it, there's probably still rooms available).

The big change for Kegworth over Scalford is that the exhibitor rooms are more uniform in size and about 25-30% bigger than the average sized rooms at Scalford. Plus the corridors are wide and the whole place is very simple to navigate - so much so that I think many people will do significantly less mileage as there's little chance of getting lost and constantly searching out rooms like we used to enjoy at Scalford. So its all much easier to get about and didn't feel as busy as you might expect from the ever increasing visitor numbers.

Don't fret - just get there early and expect to stay until 5pm. It still gets quieter after about 4pm and there's a decent amount of space to take a break and have a sit in the bar area if needed. As usual with these things, early doors is best spent as far from the entrance as possible as people tend to just go in the first room they find so the further flung rooms stay quiet for an hour or so.

Worth noting that both main floors are served by a lift and so are good for the less able and those in wheelchairs too.

Reactions: irb
<moderating>

I’ve renamed the thread given all is now clearly in progress for this years’s show.
Thanks Tony, I never intended for this thread to be in any way negative... I was just worried that the show mid have been canned, I’d have been gutted if it had. It’s a brilliant show, and the only one of real interest to me.

Where about are you? Kegworth is right by East Midlands airport so it might be possible to fly in on the Saturday and back on Sunday evening... assuming you’re near an airport that operates flights to EMA and that the prices aren’t astronomical.

Grumpy old fart? Yes...join the club, but I can understand the confusion caused by the “Sold Out” nonsense. Someone ought to have a word in the organiser’s ear. He seems to be his own worst enemy.

Reading the show webpage confused me a little as to whether this is truly open to the public or is only for registered (paid or unpaid) members of the Wam site.

There's a missing apostrophe in 'worlds' too. :D

advertisement

Back