advertisement

The Wam/Kegworth HIFI show 2020

To any one from outside of the UK - this is a *great* event - very friendly and some amazing kit
It would be great to see this take of elsewhere

Guys,
As I said earlier all is in hand. I have been in e-mail discussion with the owner and all is good and either being done or planned. Yes, the hotel is booked as is the support from the hotel. The participant's spreadsheet has many names on it and it is going to be a very full show with very varied systems, as always. The Wam Show 2020 web page is being planned and will be up in time, remember last year it was in place in the middle of Feb.

So if you are making plans to visit/participate then carry on.

The members put a huge amount of effort into organising their systems to be ready and available for the show. This effort is appreciated by the owner and the people who attend as the atmosphere is always very friendly. Most of the participants will be more than happy to play your music if you ask nicely. As always the participants are always willing to talk about their systems and give you a 'real person's view' about the equipment. They are not salesmen.

Right, just need to organise the weather as we do not want any snow!

The idea of dismantling all my stuff and carting it to a remote hotel bedroom to be dissected by a bunch of bearded blokes fills me with abject fear and horror. Props to those that do this.
It’s very rare that people are negative, if they don’t like/get something, they generally keep that view to themselves. More likely, you’ll get people who take a real interest and genuinely like what you have to show.

I’d love to exhibit, I have a full Linn system, one of the brands that, although highly successful and popular, can and do get a good bashing on forums... but I know it sounds great, other people will hear it and think so too, some won’t like it, and that’s fine, we don’t all like the same things.

I do appreciate the effort that goes into this, it’s a big enough task taking my turntable, it’s power supply and a preamp to the pub every other week for a vinyl night. I’ll do it at some point but stripping and packing the entire system, all ten boxes of electronics plus the turntable, speakers, cables, furniture to house it and a selection of music to play and then transporting and setting it all up again, and then doing it all again on the Sunday night, that would be a task and a half... and then on top of that paying for the room for the two days plus booking another room to stay in, when you think about it and add it all up, you realise the effort and expense that the exhibitors go to.

The Wam Show 2020 web page is being planned and will be up in time, remember last year it was in place in the middle of Feb.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the middle of February would be "up in time" for a show happening in mid March?

People need to make plans to attend this show. The lack of solid information is lamentable.

@narabdela appreciate your view but for the last two years this is how this has gone and last year was the most visited show ever. I hope this year will be even bigger , it is already looking like the most rooms and exhibitors in the shows history and with a bit of luck and some good weather it may well be the biggest show ever. This is not a a Trade show , there is very little on sale and that is most certainly not the idea or object of this show so as long as things are confirmed and detailed a month before the event then it will be good enough for most of us . I would have liked better information in place but that is only a personal preference and not a must have .

All people need in advance is the most basic of information - location and date. Exhibitors can be added as and when they’re known. If Saturday is largely a set up day that should be stated clearly - I’d have felt a bit miffed if I’d turned up on the morning. It’s not difficult, just basic communication that could be done by a simple banner link on the main webpage, and/or a sticky thread in the forum.

I am thinking of going this year as I missed last year's does anyone know what the parking situation is. I just checked the train prices £300 for the 2 of us vs £60 to drive!!

I am thinking of going this year as I missed last year's does anyone know what the parking situation is. I just checked the train prices £300 for the 2 of us vs £60 to drive!!
ample parking, the hotel has a large, properly surfaced (yes unlike Scalford) car park and plenty of street parking as well.
E.G. at Scalford the car park was rammed on Saturday with exhibitors vehicles with just enough room to turn the buses around. Kegworth will, by comparison, be approx. 20% full on Saturday. If visitor are staying at the Best Western then leave your car there would be my tip. If flying in then leave your plane at the airport :D

Google steet view should give you confidence: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8...4!1sBjzoxBmpsv1Pjnjl6iWw7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
also if you switch to satellite view more so

For anyone able to stay until Monday, a thread has just started up on the Wigwam for anyone wanting to be a part of the traditional Sunday evening curry.

The curry always used to be on the Saturday night - is it on Sunday now (haven’t most people gone home by then)?

The idea of dismantling all my stuff and carting it to a remote hotel bedroom to be dissected by a bunch of bearded blokes fills me with abject fear and horror. Props to those that do this.

The latest trend for 90% of blokes to have beards just shows that audiophiles were right all along :).

I predict that cardigans will be the next fashion item.

The curry always used to be on the Saturday night - is it on Sunday now (haven’t most people gone home by then)?

It's been Sunday night for a number of years now including at least three at Scalford .

I have exhibited at the Wam show for three or four years and I enjoy the event.
Please be patient it is going ahead far as I know and please show some good will as this show is laid on by people who are volunteers and exhibit at their own cost and in their own time. My total bill was over £200 last year inc travel and food etc, and we all do this because the show is important and we want you guys to have something special that is not commercial and celebrates our hobby and love of music.
Please plan to attend and enjoy a fabulous and unique event.

Things are starting to happen now with the support charity, Dementia UK, named. We will be having a charity bring and buy sale and a record cleaning station with normal and ultrasonic cleaning of your precious vinyl. All the other activities are progressing. Pages are being updated/written. I am aware that a few companies will be along as members of the public. And it is no secret that Ivor and Gilad visited on many occasions and we had most of the Linn engineering team at Scalford with an impressive demo (but no selling!). So Linnfomaniac83 no bias here especially as we have the Linn forum at the Wam. We had a cracking active Linn system there a few years back and there will be wammers there who can help set things up. Next year?

advertisement

Back