advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Alternative TV at the Dublin Castle last Friday - really enjoyed it .
First of two nights - the Friday was meant to experimental , Saturday playing the Image has cracked.

In the last 30 days or so:
  • Last night: Rheostatics - London Music Hall (London, Canada) - Front row centre, great performance and "ok" sound.
  • Last Friday: Danny Michel - London Music Club (London, Canada) - Very intimate, fantastic on all counts
  • Last Thursday: Emilie-Claire Barlow - Aeolian Hall (London, Canada) - One of the best shows I've seen for a long time
  • Nov 24 - Archie Fisher - Cuckoo's Nest (London, Canada) - Another intimate venue, and an enjoyable night of folk music
  • Nov 23 - Emm Gryner - Aeolian Hall (London, Canada) - I prefer her stuff with Trent Severn, but she puts on a great show and had many guests floating in and out
  • Nov 20 - Elvis Costello - Michigan Theatre (Ann Arbor, MI) - Good performance all around, but the sound was pure shite.
  • Nov 15 - The Pairs Album Release Party - Goodwill Centre (London, Canada) - Amazing vocal harmonies, and receptive audience
  • Nov 3 - Hawksley Workman - Aeolian Hall (London, Canada) - Alternative pop icon here in Canada
Sometimes I see more than that in a month, sometimes a bit less.

Paradoxically, I don't really enjoy live music that much. My preference is to sit in front of a good stereo, with a friend or two and a glass of whiskey, surfing through records as they come to mind. Unfortunately most of my friends who are music lovers prefer it live, so I "suffer". ;)

Lloyd Cole in Wellington last week. I somehow missed him during the 80s so the music was mainly new to me.

But it was an excellent concert - Lloyd in great voice on acoustic guitar - solo in the first half and then with Commotions' guitarist Neil Clark, also on acoustic, in the second half.

Great songs, appreciative audience. Also refreshing not to have any politics being aired between songs ...

All in all a good night out.

Aldous Harding at the Roundhouse last night.
I absolutely love her music, but hadn't seen her live until now. The show was very good musically, but her mannered singing style and stage persona tended to grate at times. To me it had the effect of making her seem detached from the songs she was singing. Has anyone else who has seen her live felt the same way?

I went to see The Ben Crosland Quintet play the Ray Davies songbook, at the Albany club in Earlsdon last night. A brilliant gig and Ray's tunes were treated with the utmost respect by a top line up of Jazz musicians: Ben Crosland - Bass, John Etheridge - Guitar, Theo Travis - Saxophone, Steve Lodder - Keyboard, Dylan Howe - Drums; imagine that for £12! Well recommended if Ben's coming your way.

Last edited:
Devin Townsend last night in Glasgow - it was an amazing performance, one of the best gigs I have ever attended! He was playing with an amazing group of musicians, the set-list was perfect and he was on top form. It always feels like a privilege to see someone as talented as Devin in the smallish venues he usually plays.
The support were Haken - who gave a very polished, tight performance. They are much better live than recorded.

So I’ve just woken up blearily from under a pile of naked bodies bottles and fursuits. I’m currently in San Jose California at furcon 2020 Where I bore witness to Witchset. An evening of trance/dance/IDM and Trans Furry Queer Techno Pagan and Witchcraft empowerment in a hotel room with various people I follow on twitter among people whom I care about.

Sometimes you just need to get wrecked on pony themed cocktails beforehand in the Babscon room (beware the bronies will **** you up) and have flourescent paint painted on your newly upcycled body and dance semi naked until jet lag and exhaustion take you.

So, how was your evening?

EOtNpOrVUAAoVjD.jpg

EOthetCUEAA9XUW

DxadlCZUwAAM857

DxayPpRUwAAuh75

There was a blood ritual after but I don’t remember much of it, the stains were epic. (Not all pix mine).

DxdMASUUcAMsvk_

So I’ve just woken up blearily from under a pile of naked bodies bottles and fursuits. I’m currently in San Jose California at furcon 2020 Where I bore witness to Witchset. An evening of trance/dance/IDM and Trans Furry Queer Techno Pagan and Witchcraft empowerment in a hotel room with various people I follow on twitter among people whom I care about.

Sometimes you just need to get wrecked on pony themed cocktails beforehand in the Babscon room (beware the bronies will **** you up) and have flourescent paint painted on your newly upcycled body and dance semi naked until jet lag and exhaustion take you.

So, how was your evening?

EOtNpOrVUAAoVjD.jpg

EOthetCUEAA9XUW

DxadlCZUwAAM857

DxayPpRUwAAuh75

There was a blood ritual after but I don’t remember much of it, the stains were epic. (Not all pix mine).

DxdMASUUcAMsvk_

....and on the Lord's day as well..,.

....and on the Lord's day as well..,.
Yeah, well mind you if you think about it there is a one in seven chance of sacrificing something to satan on the day, so it has to happen at some point. Blood Moon though makes it super useful for our requirements.

Last edited:
I’m currently in San Jose California...

DxadlCZUwAAM857

This looks suspiciously like one of the Marchbanks herd. I recognize those eyes - they flash like that every time I approach. Come to that, I recognize the gesture too, albeit with the fingers pointing upwards. I thought we were one down over the weekend.

When he finally gets home I’ll play him Claire’s record on repeat. That should get him back on my side.

Last edited:
Just back from the East Side Jazz Club in Leytonstone after seeing the Xhosa Cole Quartet; Xhosa on Tenor Sax, Jay Phelps on Trumpet, James Owston Bass and Jim Bashford drums. Played their own take on some great tunes by Gillespie, Rollins, Parker, Monk, Woody Shaw and Larry Young as well as a composition by bassist Owston that they all stretched out on beautifully. Canadian trumpet player Jay Phelps really impressed. Great evening.

Went to see Laurie Anderson at SF Jazz earlier in the week. She has her patter down very well now. Spoken word, stories, a bit of stacked violin, loops, “deep voice guy” section, reminiscences of people past & present or recently departed. She doesn’t need to change the presentation much, each time I see her it changes and remains contemporaneous, it’s getting a bit more multimedia with projections and lighting and visual effects but she is still a tour de force of performative minimalism.

EPk4wf9W4AcgEzZ

Julian Cope at Dreamland Margate last night. I am now utterly convinced that our ancient forebears were shitfaced most of the time. The man has to be bordering on national treasure status by now. And '****s can **** off'.

advertisement

Back