advertisement

Anyone compared high end Class D power amps?

Oh well, bad luck, my Khozmos work perfectly.
It was the Hypex units that subsequently failed, though not while I had it ( or my friends ). The Integrated has a pre out, did some tests against a DAC with variable output, an active valve pre plus the TVC. In my system the Khozmo ( in the Hattor ) really was the most obvious, especially at lower volumes. It just squashed the dynamics ( pretty noticeable with big Tannoys ). All part of the journey...each to their own

A bit of a fly in the ointment...a dealer has suggested Wadia A340’s, apparently Wadia make Class D monos too.

Anyone heard or heard of them?

The best implementation to my ears, though strictly speaking not simple Class D, is Devialet. I can’t quite match their sheer resolution using good quality preamps/dacs and other Class D power amps.

I have a Devialet and a Nord hypex in my two main systems, both running the same model of speakers. The differences are very small, but I do marginally prefer the Devialet, which seems to have a smoother top end.

Of course, the differences I think I hear might also be the result of their being in different rooms.

anyone tried the bel canto ref600 monoblocks ? wonder how they compare with the latest nord rev d hypex amps ?

anyone tried the bel canto ref600 monoblocks ? wonder how they compare with the latest nord rev d hypex amps ?
I can't see how they would sound any different given they use exactly the same SMPS and Hypex N core boards, The Bel Canto has an " Input conditioning module" whatever that is.

I fear for long term reliability of Hypex amps since it would seem increasing numbers of SMPS units are going pop.

so after experiencing a week of velvet sound from one of South Korea`s finest amp makers [silbatone] , truly an exceptional amp with lovely transparency , no grain and exceptional with vocals

so back to the real world now !! popped the icepower 50asx2 onto the impulse with a BC pre , not bad at all , plenty of emotion and warmth , real boogie factor but obviously nowhere near as good as the hybrid valve mentioned . but at 300 quid vs 10.4k thats not surprising

looked at KJF audio class D this week [ who make the frugalhorn kits ] looks a lovely amp but i am perplexed to see a class d with fans , surely they don`t get that hot do they ??? i am sure stefan will be along sometime to explain this . I hate fans so that won`t be an option

https://www.kjfaudio.com/hypex-amplifiers/

the XTZ edge looks worth a try , anyone heard them . at under 500 quid for the a2 -300 which can be adjusted with gain and can be used as a monoblock. looks very good value

but hoping to try the bel canto ref500s later this week , having had 2 incarnations of the bel canto ref 1000 [ a pair on hififorsale now if anyone interested] this ref500s is supposed to be sweeter sounding and a later icepower version with dual mono board . will let you know how it sounds

Do any of the hypex based units sound more different than the various nord input buffer modules?

Has anyone (except Keith) heard the Purifi amplifier modules, and particularly their EVAL1 kit, which looks reasonably priced?

so after experiencing a week of velvet sound from one of South Korea`s finest amp makers [silbatone] , truly an exceptional amp with lovely transparency , no grain and exceptional with vocals

so back to the real world now !! popped the icepower 50asx2 onto the impulse with a BC pre , not bad at all , plenty of emotion and warmth , real boogie factor but obviously nowhere near as good as the hybrid valve mentioned . but at 300 quid vs 10.4k thats not surprising

looked at KJF audio class D this week [ who make the frugalhorn kits ] looks a lovely amp but i am perplexed to see a class d with fans , surely they don`t get that hot do they ??? i am sure stefan will be along sometime to explain this . I hate fans so that won`t be an option

https://www.kjfaudio.com/hypex-amplifiers/

the XTZ edge looks worth a try , anyone heard them . at under 500 quid for the a2 -300 which can be adjusted with gain and can be used as a monoblock. looks very good value

but hoping to try the bel canto ref500s later this week , having had 2 incarnations of the bel canto ref 1000 [ a pair on hififorsale now if anyone interested] this ref500s is supposed to be sweeter sounding and a later icepower version with dual mono board . will let you know how it sounds

I have the BC 600M but haven't really compared them to anything in my system. I bought them based on reviews, feedback etc....perhaps even yours if I recall :D

I would tread carefully with XTZ. They are far better known on the AV forums and have had some quality control issues of late.

Interesting thoughts from bob cordell about why standard thd measurements on class d dont correlate with listener sound quality.

Rmaf panel discussion.

I have the BC 600M but haven't really compared them to anything in my system. I bought them based on reviews, feedback etc....perhaps even yours if I recall :D

I would tread carefully with XTZ. They are far better known on the AV forums and have had some quality control issues of late.

ah thanks indus
appreciated , yes those ref 1000 on hifi for sale are probably some of my old ones from many years ago. i like BC stuff because it lasts [ well mostly !]

Do any of the hypex based units sound more different than the various nord input buffer modules?

I had some Si with and without the buffers, for whatever reason i found them a bit bland without the buffers. I think the buffers were Sparko's or Bursons? I can't remember now, but with the buffers thought they were very good, ultimately back to back listening i couldn't tell much difference between them and my normal monoblock so sold them on.

advertisement

Back