advertisement

Exercise Cobra Warrior RAF Waddington

I don’t think that’s XH558. That’s a Black Buck Vulcan that bombed the Argies on the Falklands in ‘82. 558 is at Doncaster airport as far as I know.

Thanks Tony , first time I've photographed aircraft and have next to zero knowledge about them :) I'm just going by the sign for it and the people that work there said it was XH558, also spoke to a guy that used to be part of Vulcan club .

What was distance from yourself to the aircraft for the F-15 shots? You can see a line of rivets between front canopy & nose cone - just incredible detail for something so fast.

I got this when they was on the way home, I'm not sure exactly regarding distance , I was hoping to get a shot of the top so waited until it was further away. I was using a full frame camera , the first one is cropped smaller than DX sized and the second is just cropped much heavier . I find with the fast primes they are really sharp at longer distances which is ideal for the D850, it allows me to crop heavy and the detail is still decent .
I noticed with my 200-500 you don't get that edge sharpness and finer detail compared to the primes although it does quite well for the price, the bird shots are cropped much heavier than these

I don’t think that’s XH558. That’s a Black Buck Vulcan that bombed the Argies on the Falklands in ‘82. 558 is at Doncaster airport as far as I know.

Correct. :)

Can't remember the tail number for definite (I go past Waddo at least a couple of times a week so should do!) but am pretty sure it's 607. It is indeed the very aircraft which did the bomb run on Stanley.

Wow those photos are amazing...they remind me of going to air shows at Woodford in Cheshire when I was about 12 years old.
Can you imagine taking photos like these in some of the less liberal countries...you'd be locked up and the key thrown away on suspicion of spying!
I doubt I could achieve anything like this...especially with my Leica!
The detail of the cockpit is stunning!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Tony , first time I've photographed aircraft and have next to zero knowledge about them :) I'm just going by the sign for it and the people that work there said it was XH558, also spoke to a guy that used to be part of Vulcan club .

I just love the experts that hang around airfields and ex-military sites. Especially when they dress as though they’re special forces on day release.

The Vulcan at Waddington is and always has been XM607. This is quite clear on the fin, even visible on Google StreetView!

On one of my trips to Orford Ness another visitor told me I’d no idea what nuclear and ballistics research goes on there now. I’d replied that there was absolutely none at all. “How can you know?” “Well, the public has access to it a lot of the time, passing boats report nothing, the locals in Orford see and hear nothing, there’s no sign of anything happening, the buildings are either disused, derelict or demolished, and there’s no budget for it. And on top of that, the RAF has plenty of bombing ranges to choose from, and no longer has the capability to carry/drop nuclear weapons.”

“Yeah but, you never really know.”

:(

Reactions: ron
Thanks for the info guys ,

Yep, XM607. Been sat there for over 37 years, poor ol’ thing.

Correct. :)

Can't remember the tail number for definite (I go past Waddo at least a couple of times a week so should do!) but am pretty sure it's 607. It is indeed the very aircraft which did the bomb run on Stanley.

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated I should have looked at the tail number , I presume the XH558 is grounded displayed too ? Will have to check out Doncaster

I’ve no idea what the latest is on 558. I know there are plenty of disappointed enthusiasts, but hey, few of them are willing to sell their houses to keep the old girl in a presentable condition.

Southend airport has a Vulcan. She had a quick, noisy taxy run a few months ago.

Maybe look at Bruntingthorpe? I’ve been once, to a Lightning Twilight Reheat run. Very impressive and loud! They usually do a Cold War Jets Day, with fast taxy runs. A few years ago the Victor took off for a few seconds!

I’ve no idea what the latest is on 558. I know there are plenty of disappointed enthusiasts, but hey, few of them are willing to sell their houses to keep the old girl in a presentable condition.

Southend airport has a Vulcan. She had a quick, noisy taxy run a few months ago.

Maybe look at Bruntingthorpe? I’ve been once, to a Lightning Twilight Reheat run. Very impressive and loud! They usually do a Cold War Jets Day, with fast taxy runs. A few years ago the Victor took off for a few seconds!

Excellent thanks Tony will have to check that out Cold War Jets Day sounds very interesting !

Bloody hell !

They had some explaining to do! The co-pilot 'froze' when the pilot requested throttles back. Pilot had to do it, hand off controls, aircraft lifted to about 100ft and drifted left in the crosswind.

Lol.

:)

advertisement

Back