advertisement

What became of all those old reviewers?

Birdseed007

Audio scribe
With the sad passing of Malcolm Steward and my recovery of a large stash of old hi-fi magazines from the loft which I have been enjoying re-reading I have become curious what became of so many of the reviewers of the day.

Probably my favourite magazine of all time was Audiophile which was published in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Re-reading those has been a real pleasure but what became of Jonathan Kettle or Richard Garlick for example? I also loved New Hi-Fi Sound and Hi-Fi Answers and of course HFN.

I believe Alvin Gold has sadly passed away
Martin Colloms now writes for Hi-fi critic
Keith Howard now writes for Hi-Fi News
Ken Kessler is still with Hi-Fi News

Anybody else remember those old magazines and reviewers and care to fill in the gaps? For me at least many of them were inspiring at a time when there was no internet and the only way to connect with gear like that and people of similar interests was through the magazines.

Birdseed

Hmm.. I never realised that was the same Ian Rankin (good for him) :).

(there’s no mention of his audio reviewing at his Wikipedia page)

I had a long conversation with him once about Rebus’ Linn/Naim system and musical tastes.
Odd that as in the Rebus books I don't recall that being mentioned? I recall him referring to a monied victims turntable. In the TV series he does have an LP12 though.

I recall Rankin being interviewed on IIRC Wogan and him saying (to paraphrase) "yeah sometimes I couldn't be bothered with the reviewing lark and I'd just write something about smooth treble and earth shaking bass without even unpacking the speakers from the box..."

Ah all those modern reviewers....

I well remember the real deal technical ones of the old school... Angus McKenzie, Donald Aldous, Gordon J King etc...
and of course "Adrian Hope" AKA Barry Fox...

I always wondered what happened to Eric Braithwaite of Hi Fi World 'fame'. I m,et him a few times then he just sort of dropped off the radar. Then he re-appeared briefly then disappeared again.. for good. Last time I saw the Hi Fi World lot at a show ( Bristol I think..) I asked Noel Keywood if he knew what happened and he seemed to have no clear idea either...

On several occasions I have had a pair of speakers direct from a reviewer with only one of the pair unpacked, despite the reviews talking about 'stereo image'. I've also had amps and a turntable direct from reviews, still sealed in their carton. Too busy I guess.

I wonder, do reviewers actually write a review on all the gear they have been sent - perhaps they don’t?

I wonder, do reviewers actually write a review on all the gear they have been sent - perhaps they don’t?

I've obviously heard stories but certainly my conscience wouldn't let me do otherwise and I know of many other modern reviewers who wouldn't dream of doing any "reviews by spec sheet".

Personally, I can't see any reason why any reviewer who is a genuine audio or music enthusiast wouldn't want to try out what is effectively a succession of free goodies to play with!

It’s the editors job to ensure the right reviewer receives the right kit.

I loved hifi reviews negative reviews

advertisement

Back