advertisement

kudos x2 or neat sx2

rick82

Hi all, I'm new here.
I'm looking for a small (very small) tower and at last I'm considering the Kudos X2 or the Neat sx2.
I can't have a demo (no seller near) so I'm trying to understand if they sound similar as they look or are any relevant differences in sound signature/quality.
They'll go in my living room (a part of it), 3x4mt and wood floor, not a lot of distance from the rear wall, the amp is an exposure 3010.

The seems quite similar, same size, same bottom reflex port, similar price.

Thanks in advice and sorry for my bad English.

They are both great speakers. I have Motive 2’s (predecessor to SX2) and rate them very highly. Used with Naim electronics they are fantastic, should also be great with Exposure. I’ve also listened to X2’s and they are equally good. To be honest I don’t think you’d go wrong with either so would probably make the decision based on what was available and the deals on offer.

By the way, welcome!

Very similar in my opinion. The Neats are a ‘slanted’ design, which you may or may not like. I’d be delighted with either.

Very similar in my opinion. The Neats are a ‘slanted’ design, which you may or may not like. I’d be delighted with either.
thanks again,
I take advantage of your kindness to ask you how they play with genres like rock, classic rock, blues and similar?
I'm not looking for boomy bass, prefer a more controlled and tight bass, I don't (I can't) listen to high volume...

I have Motive SX2s on the end of a Naim CD5X/202/200 set up and they sound fantastic. The bass is tight but deep considering the size of the speaker and they play well at low volumes. I don't know the Kudos X2 as well but they are quite similar. I listen to rock, pop, blues and trance/house .. all go very well with them.

The designers of Kudos, used to be part of Neat many years ago, so similar sound objectives of a musical nature. Eg strong on timing, rhythm, dynanics rather than outright detail resolution, neutrality, imagery etc.

Bass will always intended to be tight , but will always dependent on room location and distance from back wall.

Buy both with confidence. I have owned both and presently have Kudos C 20.

Really good with Naim, Rega or Exposure amplication which have similar attributes.

All your genres will work well .

The similarities between Kudos and Neat are no coincidence. Derek Gilligan was co-founder of Neat before he left to set up Kudos.
I’m a big fan of the X2, which I’ve found to be a great performer for its size, and quite unfussy when it comes to room positioning. I have very little experience of the Neats, but I suspect that you would be equally happy with either.

I'm another Kudos X2 owner here (with Rega electronics). I actually auditioned the X2 against the Motive 2SE about 10 years ago (so I think the Motive is now a MKii version). There was very little to choose between them in terms of sound quality as people have said. Aesthetics probably won the day for me, though I did slightly prefer the sound of the Kudos speakers, slightly smoother in highs in my opinion. I then picked up a pair of the Kudos speakers at a good price, which was even better. My room is not enormous, 5 x 4 m, and I listen to a range of classical, rock and jazz and they all sound good to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either Neat or Kudos.

Got to say I was never really thrilled by my X2's (partnered with Rega Elicit-R). They were very easy to listen to, I found, and did everything well; I just never really found my foot tapping. Had them for a year or so before eventually settling on Rega RX5's which, to me, have a more dynamic presentation with the greater scale I found I was after.

Got to say I was never really thrilled by my X2's (partnered with Rega Elicit-R). They were very easy to listen to, I found, and did everything well; I just never really found my foot tapping. Had them for a year or so before eventually settling on Rega RX5's which, to me, have a more dynamic presentation with the greater scale I found I was after.
My general policy is to be as negative as I like during the decision making process but once the purchase is made, try not to piss on their bonfire.

Yes very quick, my short list was Kudos X2, Neat SX2 or Totem Arro... i found a good deal for the Kudos (small, right color, good sound and cheaper than the other two).

Derek, designed and voiced both and “optimised” things with the X2. Both great speakers but I think you made the right choice. Rega RX5’s? Pah!

Yes very quick, my short list was Kudos X2, Neat SX2 or Totem Arro... i found a good deal for the Kudos (small, right color, good sound and cheaper than the other two).

Post a review once you have had time to get used to them. I'm interested as I would consider the X2 as a replacement for my motive sx3.

advertisement

Back