advertisement

Looking to buy a R&R machine...

Theo

pfm Member
...and I could do with some pointers. I'm looking at something that looks the part, will take 10" reels, preferably 7" &15" speeds, easily servicable and relatively trouble free (post service). I've hankered after one for many years, and I need to scratch that itch.

I've looked at a variety of Revox machines - A77/B77/PR99: the appeal being that they seem to be easily servicable (not by me, but there seems to be a number of businesses who can carry this out). There's quite a few machines in Europe, and I wonder how well these travel, given the hamfistedness of courier services.

Also looking at Pioneer RT909: really quite beautiful but pricey. Out of my league are the Technics machines - 1500/1700 - though they are gorgeous, they seem over-complicated, and at around £2k for a 'fettled' model, simply not an option for me.

I've been 'warned off' some of the Teac machines, especially those with weak capstan motors. Akais (like the 535/635) are also on my radar.

Anything else I'm missing?

No reason to avoid the TEACs. I had an X10 for many, many years. But eventually sold it after a long period of no usage. Annoyingly I now have acquired some family home recordings made by my grandpa on his trust old Grundig and there is a desire to get these transcribed to some other media. My mother would love to hear some of those voices again...

Strangely enough, it was the X10 I was told to avoid as a second hand purchase - by both a previous owner and repairman. Granted, I'm looking at buying a very complicated, 40-year old machine, so caveat emptor...

Does anyone here have one they might be thinking of selling on?

I went through the same hankering/itch-scratching, but found that my eventual purchase (a Teac X300, in fine condition as far as I could determine) ended up underused and went up to the attic nearly 15 years ago, not to be missed. I would advise ensuring you really have the use cases (and the space!) before committing to the relationship.

The Revox B77 mk2 and the PR99 are excellent and robust machines after a full service and that usually entails a full recap IMO, try and find out the head condition before you buy, if the heads are worn you can sometimes get them relapped but if head gaps are showing they are toast, everything else is serviceable and parts are readily available in Europe.
The Tascam BR20 is a superb machine one of my favourites, they also need very little service.
The Otari MX55N are also excellent machines, very well made and very reliable not had to change any caps on them.

Alan

Many thanks Alan - I've looked at various versions of all those machines (bar the X1000 - I'm looking at a 32 and a BR20). I'll let you know if anything comes if my search...

...and I could do with some pointers. I'm looking at something that looks the part, will take 10" reels, preferably 7" &15" speeds, easily servicable and relatively trouble free (post service). I've hankered after one for many years, and I need to scratch that itch.

I've looked at a variety of Revox machines - A77/B77/PR99: the appeal being that they seem to be easily servicable (not by me, but there seems to be a number of businesses who can carry this out). There's quite a few machines in Europe, and I wonder how well these travel, given the hamfistedness of courier services.

Also looking at Pioneer RT909: really quite beautiful but pricey. Out of my league are the Technics machines - 1500/1700 - though they are gorgeous, they seem over-complicated, and at around £2k for a 'fettled' model, simply not an option for me.

I've been 'warned off' some of the Teac machines, especially those with weak capstan motors. Akais (like the 535/635) are also on my radar.

Anything else I'm missing?
The key question is what are you looking to do with a R2R?

Record your own stuff live/ your records?
Play pre-recorded tapes?
Look at it adoringly?

Hi - all three :)

Mainly make compilations (especially some of my 2 x 45rpm BN releases), but I also may have access to a number of pre-recorded reels with some interesing live stuff which I'd like to hear.

I want to gaze longingly at it too...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks Ali - looking at an SE version of that Tandberg one (with Dynex) based in Europe. Obviously the p&p is the big risk. If I was buying a model in the UK, I'd be going round to pick it up.

advertisement

Back