advertisement

New Porsche Cayman....6 pot and No Turbo!!!

andyoz

pfm Member
Porsche released the revised 718 Cayman a few years back with 4 cylinder Boxster turbo that sounded like an Imprezza.

The market has spoken....they're back to a naturally aspirated 6 pot boxster engine for their non GT model.

The 4 pots’ll soon cost buttons used.

They've been dropping already before the announcement....the 6 pot GTS was a well leaked thing

The 4 pots are actually a performance bargain if you don't crave the 6 pot sound/response (I'm in the latter group though)

That's good news. I hope BMW follows suit and makes non-turbo sixes like they used to. I had a 1983 320i that was the best-built car I ever had, and now a 1999 528i which is also excellent, although already overloaded with electronic gadgets.

That's good news. I hope BMW follows suit and makes non-turbo sixes like they used to. I had a 1983 320i that was the best-built car I ever had, and now a 1999 528i which is also excellent, although already overloaded with electronic gadgets.
I had one too, a 325i E30 Sport only 4 years ago....it was nowhere near as solid as my current 2011 BMW..and it was slow!

Porsche had to do it: they must have been losing so many sales to the 410hp BMW M2 Competition.
I wouldn't mind BMW going back to the 8 cylinder non-turbo though...
But will we all be driving electric in 10 years...

losing so many sales to the 410hp BMW M2 Competition.

do they stand up to comparison? 2 seater sports car and a souped up saloon. They might have lost some sales but that is like comparing apples with pears.

My dealer tells me me many 6 pot pot Boxster fans moved to buying used 911s, which is in effect what I did (via the Macan).

Porsches move to a 6 cylinder GTS has been the worst kept secret and great to see.

With new 718 GT4's currently selling for silly 'overs' hopefully this dampens that a bit...the GT4 has been the only way to get a 6 pot Cayman for the last few years.

Porsche had to do it: they must have been losing so many sales to the 410hp BMW M2 Competition.
I wouldn't mind BMW going back to the 8 cylinder non-turbo though...
But will we all be driving electric in 10 years...

I've been reading some buyers of 4 pot 718's have been getting pre reg new ones for 20% off list the last month or so.

do they stand up to comparison? 2 seater sports car and a souped up saloon. They might have lost some sales but that is like comparing apples with pears.

My dealer tells me me many 6 pot pot Boxster fans moved to buying used 911s, which is in effect what I did (via the Macan).

What do you expect a Porsche dealer to tell you ?
Almost everyone didn't like the 4 pot Cayman/Boxster and BMW probably make the best inline 6 so yes I think they lost significant sales. And that became serious when BMW were forced (emissions) to drop the M4 engine and other proper M bits into the M2 a couple of years ago.
Aesthetics are obviously different but many like a 'wolf in sheep's clothing', the driving position, the boot and the useable rear seats. I wouldn't call an M2 Competition a pear until you've driven one.
The 911 is a great car. But it is a different price point or a few years old.
IMO the M2 Competition is the best BMW made today, and may go down as the last classic BMW.

I thought a turbo was supposed to be a good thing. Why do people not want them?

They used to be too obvious in use but that is largely fixed now. Today it is more about the sound (or lack of), and because most keen drivers prefer 5/6/8 cylinders to 4.

Fuel consumption should be a bit less with a turbo than a larger engine.

For decades Porsche were concerned not to cannibalize 911 sales. By finally giving the Cayman/Boxster the 4 litre 6 they must have decided they no longer had any choice; or that the latest 911 has moved into a luxury, higher priced segment. Or, most likely, a bit of both.

Fuel consumption should be a bit less with a turbo than a larger engine.
...and a flatter and fatter torque curve to boot. I don't think I can go back to naturally aspirated unless it displaces 6.0 litres.

What do you expect a Porsche dealer to tell you ?

I have had this debate on here time and time again, and to be frank it is boring.

I have been using that dealership for 10+ years, the principal is a friend of mine, I fully understand what they are telling me. I'm in there a couple of times a week for a coffee on my way home from work. I know what see with my eyes.

yes exactly IYO.......

Obviously prof. Just like everything you write is IYO. And everyone else is their opinion. Otherwise there would be no discussion about anything.
How many times are you going to mention this.
Do you have to win every discussion ?
We got it: you have a 911. You have mentioned at every opportunity. Yours is the bestest. :rolleyes:

Specifically for the 718, Porsche were asking fans of the great sounding normally aspirated flat 6 to accept a muffled 4 cylinder. It didn’t happen.

At a basic level, every Cayman and Boxster is ‘fast enough’ to not need a turbo for performance. So it was purely for a perceived fuel economy/emissions improvement. Trouble is, as we all now know after VW, those figures were a manipulated con.

advertisement

Back