advertisement

Boiled Eggs and Soldiers

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
What is the boiling technique? on the stove heat on, off the stove after heating, off the heat after heating....?
Timings for the perfect boiled egg?
Method and etiquette for breaking the top off?
What bread for the toast?
How much toasted - dark or pale toast?
What substance should anoint the toasted - butter, margarine, some other spread, Marmite, jam?
What width should the soldiers be?
What material should the egg cup be made of - will it conduct heat away from the egg and let it get cold?
Should we add salt to the opened egg?

I am sure there are more factors to worry about........

Which position should the lion stamp be when in the egg cup? always worried over this one.

Bloss

It was only a couple of days ago that I was going to ask if there was a colour changing egg timer out there that you didn't have to replace every six months or so.

I wrote the thread but deleted it, thinking I need to get a life.

In our house it's a bog egg, as my daughter used to call it when she was little. Other gems have passed into the vernacular in our household...when she has cramp "I've got Frank"
As to procedure, my wife handles that, I just complain if its hard. Butter on the toast of course.

I’m having PTSD. There are flashing images of John Major and Edwina Currie getting back to basics over the desk at 10 Downing St after the staff have left for the evening. (Eggs are perfectly safe to consume provided they’re boiled until hard).

she sat in front of me at Manchester Opera house last year.
Much smaller than she appeared on tv.

What is the boiling technique? on the stove heat on, off the stove after heating, off the heat after heating....?
Timings for the perfect boiled egg?

>> 4 minutes on a rolling boil.

Method and etiquette for breaking the top off?

>> Use a teaspoon. Scoop the white out of the top and eat it. :)

What bread for the toast?

>> Bog-standard white bread.

How much toasted - dark or pale toast?

>> Dark, but not burned.

What substance should anoint the toasted - butter, margarine, some other spread, Marmite, jam?

>> Salted butter.

What width should the soldiers be?

>> Around 2cm

What material should the egg cup be made of - will it conduct heat away from the egg and let it get cold?

>> Porcelain

Should we add salt to the opened egg?

>> Not necesssarily (if using salted butter on your toast for example), but I always use a pinch of freshly ground pepper.

I am sure there are more factors to worry about........

When the egg came from Mum's larder to the pan, it was into boiling water for 3.5 mins for a perfect soft boiled egg (firm white, runny yolk).
Now we keep eggs in the fridge, it's more like 4.5 mins for the same effect, but depends on egg size.
Home made white crusty bread with salted butter for us.
I used to be a crown cracker, but the Mrs, who reckons she understands proper etiket say's to slice.
I just want it out and in my tum as soon as poss.

Not another egg thread ! New-laid eggs need a wee bit more than older supermarket eggs, esp. if they've been in the fridge for a while. Oh yes, based upon three minutes dead or by the egg-timer.

advertisement

Back