advertisement

Bluesound Vault 2i ethernet

Tigerjones

Bagpuss
Hi

This has been mentioned before but I couldn’t find the thread. Is it possible to run the Vault 2 without a wired ethernet cable as my router and hifi are some distance from each other?

Cheers

PJ

Same suggestion as @NRG above except that this one is easier to hide...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0148NO58W/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I have a Netgear Orbi whole home WiFi system. Each box has wired Ethernet ports on the back, so I just use those for the Vault 2i, Innuos Zen, Roon Nucleus and other kit which only supports wires. This has the added benefit of improving the speed and range of the network.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm considering a Vault or Node 2i and I have Ethernet over mains that is not giving a problem, but can you run either of them as a Roon Core or only as an end point. My idea would be to have the core on the Vault and the end point would be my D&D 8c's. There do seem to be quite a few reports of problems running Roon on the Bluesound.

I'm considering a Vault or Node 2i and I have Ethernet over mains that is not giving a problem, but can you run either of them as a Roon Core or only as an end point. My idea would be to have the core on the Vault and the end point would be my D&D 8c's. There do seem to be quite a few reports of problems running Roon on the Bluesound.

You can't run Roon Core on a Vault. If you want to do that, you could look at an Innuos Zen of some type, amongst other solutions.

You can run either of them as a Roon endpoint, but not as a Roon Core. I have lots of customers using Bluesound products with Roon, without any problems.

If you are looking for a turnkey Roon Core server then an Innuos Zen or Roon Nucleus are probably the best options.

Do you need access to the top of the Vault 2i to operate or can it all run off an app or remote control?

Not really. You can control it from the app or using Bluesound’s own remote handset (£49), or you can train it to work with an existing remote handset.

Thanks Lee and Simon G for the replies. I expected that the Bluesound would only act as an end point and not a Core for Roon. The attraction of the Vault or Node was that periods when I don't want to disturb others I could also use via Bluetooth across the room from the rest of the system to a pair of noise cancelling headphones that would otherwise need a 4 metre cable. Lesser quality I know, but still acceptable at these times.

Vinyl is still my primary source and will remain so, but giving a little consideration adding Qobus and then Roon as my Firmware on the 8c's is now Roon ready and they could be the end point. I do not really want to run a computer just for the Roon Core. I would agree with Chris in that Roon Nucleus looks like a poorly speced computer in an expensive box. You build a better NUC for half the cost? I suppose I could use an NAS that runs Roon Core or just dedicate a Laptop for it together with the Apps to use it instead of my IPad. Then also use that for the Headphones.

The Innous Zen or Zenith because of their additional easy ripping abilities have some attraction, but are they really a step up in sound quality?

Apologies to the Op for somewhat sidetracking his thread.

advertisement

Back