advertisement

Watches from Dubai or Abu Dhabi

guest,

They aren't crap. What makes you say that? Seiko is to Japanese watchmaking as Panerai is to Italy. They have a long history (1800s) and are one of the few that make every single component in house. For their high end mechanical pieces They are considered to be as good as any of their Swiss counterparts in accuracy quality etc.

I know, but in the watch threads a Seiko SKX031, 007 or whatever doesn't seem to impress the watchies much.

I do appreciate the quality of Swiss mechanical watches, but like so many things that are made by hand these days the prices have skyrocketed somewhere between batshit crazy and really batshit crazy.

Joe

I have Rolex watches because I know you can’t have the same ones.
I wear a JDM Seiko for the same reason. Rolexes attract all the wrong kind of attention and there's at least one being waved around on any night out in town. I've never seen the one I have on anyone else's wrist, and I wouldn't swap it for any Rolex.

The £50 Seiko beater I wear to work I've seen everywhere, everyone has an snk805. Especially people like me who have to take off any jewellery to go in the factory. I'm not leaving anything valuable in a desk drawer.

I wear a JDM Seiko for the same reason. Rolexes attract all the wrong kind of attention and there's at least one being waved around on any night out in town. I've never seen the one I have on anyone else's wrist, and I wouldn't swap it for any Rolex.

The £50 Seiko beater I wear to work I've seen everywhere, everyone has an snk805. Especially people like me who have to take off any jewellery to go in the factory. I'm not leaving anything valuable in a desk drawer.

When I was still working, one of my old bosses was the proud owner of a Rolex on a bracelet which he hadn't had sized properly, so it was loose on his wrist and rattled as he waved his arms about, which he often did. For some reason this annoyed the s**t out of me, which was strange as he was a really nice bloke.

Seiko are brilliant watches. I just get fed up of the constant knocking of Rolex. I hate Rolex bling, or any watch bling.

like so many things that are made by hand these days the prices have skyrocketed somewhere between batshit crazy and really batshit crazy.

Are we entering into an age where there is little need for human beings. If they are to be seen as consumers, how do they fund their shopping habits and cafe lattes? Without work? No retail workers, No high streets. No retail banks. No real need for insurance brokers, bankers, etc etc. Where does the money come from to fund communities?

All remarkably dystopian I confess but it does strike me that, once we stop appreciating the experience of genuine face to face interaction and the endeavours of workmen and craftsmen, the future looks decidedly bleaker for those that are born into it.

Roger,

I don’t know if we’ve ever had a need for human beings, but here we are typing on iPods, communicating with people half a world away, while sitting on the can. I’m sure this is peak or near peak human fulfillment and civilization.

Honestly, even after years of watching Star Trek I never dreamt I’d be living in the future.

Joe

There's a nice Seiko 5 on sale here @ H Samuel for £67.49 delivered. I saw one earlier at a store in Glasgow and thought it very nice looking indeed. If I didn't have too many watches and not enough wrists already I would have bought one for sure :)

3387834_1.jpg

OP - The UK used to be one of the cheaper places to buy a good quality watch, when duty and vat were taken into account. If you can avoid / evade these then it may be worth buying overseas but do be careful.

Seiko - Fine watches and to the real watch connoisseur a credible brand ranging from the everyman seiko 5 through Pressage, Prospex and Grand Seiko to the insane Credor range. Their only lack is their marketing for the west where seiko means cheap to most people.

Rolex - Lovely watches, can't be bothered to jump through AD hoops to buy one at RRP ,and for grey / preowned money there are far more interesting things out there. It's the BMW of the watch world, people are insanely loyal to the brand, the engineering is solid but they are (mostly) for people that just want 15 or 20 foot of car that looks good on the drive, yes there are the true enthusiasts who eat beans in order to have that mint e30 m3 or m635csi on the drive but they are for outnumbered by those who just want the badge on the front and don;t care that the one on the back says 116d.
I'll take an aforementioned Grand Seiko, a Breitling for 1/3rd the cost or a Ulysse Nardin with more history and innovation over a Rolex until I can just walk into a Rolex AD, try a few on and walk out with the one I want or have it on order for delivery within a month.

There's a nice Seiko 5 on sale here @ H Samuel for £67.49 delivered. I saw one earlier at a store in Glasgow and thought it very nice looking indeed. If I didn't have too many watches and not enough wrists already I would have bought one for sure :)
That's great for the money, from a UK retailer too. Seiko 5s are great watches for daily wear, they cost little, they wear well and if after 10 years they stop or just get worn it's no big deal. I've got one on now that I've had for about 6 years and worn regularly, it keeps great time and I wear it more than my "better" watches. There's a website called "Seiko 5 chooser" or similar that shows the range and "if you like this have a look at that". The range does turn over fairly regularly but there are some solid choices that you'd never regret in there.

^^ not sure about Ulysee Nardin being '1/3rd the cost' of a Rolex though. Pretty similar price range.

^^ probably good but why make them look like wannabe Rolex...
In one sense good VFM but £400 is still £400 so they are neither cheap nor Rolex...

Steinhart are good watches. They use bought in movements, but good quality. You have to want a Rolex wannabe, but if that's what you want then it's £400 plays £5k.

advertisement

Back