advertisement

Denon DL110 has died. Any ideas for a replacement?

faz

spaceman
My DL110 cartridge has worn out. This must be the third I've had over quite a few years and whilst I suppose I could just get another one I'm now fortunate to be able spend up £500 on a replacement cartridge.

I like the general balance of sound of the DL110 with reasonably good bass and not too intrusive treble so I guess I'm looking for a more sophisticated take on it.

Any suggestions? It'll be going on a Technics SL-1210M5G thru a NAD 3130 to Tannoy Devons.

Cheers
Mike

If yes, AT 540 ML, and £250 to spend on vinyl. The ATs remove all the fabled Technics ‘darkness’.

The Hana EH should be on your list. I found it to be a nice upgrade from the DL110. £350 if you shop around.

I have considered the DL103 of DL103r but I don't think the Technics tonearm is massy enough.

I must say the AT33 looks very interesting. Not sure which version though.

Don't know much about the Hana cartridges....

Cheers
Mike

I was in a similar place and went for another ‘110.
You mention its characteristics, which you obviously like.
They suit my system and it looks like they suit yours.
Going for something else is a whole new ball game, and one you may not like...

I was in a similar place and went for another ‘110.
You mention its characteristics, which you obviously like.
They suit my system and it looks like they suit yours.
Going for something else is a whole new ball game, and one you may not like...

I know what you're saying, but I guess I fancy a change. I'm not saying the DL110 is perfect by any means. It's good but I think I do even better.

But thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

I have considered the DL103 of DL103r but I don't think the Technics tonearm is massy enough.

I must say the AT33 looks very interesting. Not sure which version though.

Don't know much about the Hana cartridges....

Cheers
Mike
The Hana EH should be on your list. I found it to be a nice upgrade from the DL110. £350 if you shop around.

Great cartridge !

If you like the Denon DL110, then the Denon DL301 Mk2 May be an option. I’ve used a DL110 myself up until recently, I’ve replaced it with a Nagaoka cartridge that I really like too.
If I go and try an MC cartridge, the DL301 Mk2 will be one I’d consider.

AT VM-540ML or Denon DL-301-II -both work well in the Technics arm - I've enjoyed both in those arms. Dl-110 has grown on me over the years -if you've worn a couple out - be prepared to find it a bit tough to re calibrate the ears/wetware to accept anything else. For what it's worth -my opinion is that in today's audio market- ALL the Denon MC carts made today represent outstanding value. Even after the major price jump a few years back -the consistent quality of Denon's MC's is something you can't help but both admire and depend on.

Following on Sanz's recommendation, little used DL304's can be had for c. 400 euros or less. Fantastic cartridge.
From a fellow DL110 user,
Steven

I think it's hard to replace the DL110 at the price. However, good results from Nagoaka MP110 and for more bucks I like Goldring's 1042.

Just out of interest is the Denon 103R a possibility? I've read a few online reviews and I wonder if it will work on the Technics arm. I don't mind experimenting with heavier headshells if it needs it. I know it's not perfect by any means (is any cartridge perfect?) but for some reason I keep being drawn to it.

One thing I do find is that some of my more recent new vinyl purchases can sometimes sound a bit 'hot' compared to my older 70's pressings. Not sure if this is down to modern production/pressing techniques, but a cartridge that could go some extent smooth off some of that modern edge would be handy. Hence my thoughts on the DL103R.

Mike

advertisement

Back