advertisement

Watches from Dubai or Abu Dhabi

Are Tannoy Westminster Royal SEs available in Dubai’s duty-free shops? I’d love a pair of those babies, though I think the difficult part would be constructing a believable story why you just happen to have a pair of them in your carry-on.

Joe

Leather or metal bracelet sir?

guest,

I’m not a Rolex guy. I’m a Seiko man, man.

Yes, I know, they’re crap, but my Seiko diver’s watch is surprisingly close to the *real* thing for 1/20th the price.

Joe

guest,

Yes, I know, they’re crap, but my Seiko diver’s watch is surprisingly close to the *real* thing for 1/20th the price.

in our f'd up world seiko is actually/rightly the cool watch and rolex is what the golden globes crowd is wearing.

in our f'd up world seiko is actually/rightly the cool watch and rolex is what the golden globes crowd is wearing.

You can pick on any sector of society and attach Rolex to it with a negative comment. Why? Because the watches appeal to a wide audience. From a £2k used Oyster upwards, most people in work can aspire to one without having to spend months learning about all the boutique watches from tiny villages in the alps.

guest,

Joe

They aren't crap. What makes you say that? Seiko is to Japanese watchmaking as Panerai is to Italy. They have a long history (1800s) and are one of the few that make every single component in house. For their high end mechanical pieces They are considered to be as good as any of their Swiss counterparts in accuracy quality etc.

To many they are known for cheap quartz watches, but for watch nerds their rep is top.
https://www.watchtime.com/featured/timepiece-timeline-milestone-seiko-watches/

Quite fancy a 1960s Grand Seiko dress watch for my little collection - a bit of a Speedmaster copy but time a nice and good value classic.

I am a Rolex fan, but not a watch snob.

I see it a bit like classic hi fi, where Japan more than holds its own in tech merit and value.

Half the GG crowd weren't even born when I bought mine. No one cares what they wear. Unless you read Hello or OK?

To be fair, in my recent experience, many people seem to react in one of two ways to a Rolex on the wrist - particularly a vulgar gold one. Either they assume it's a fake bought overseas/on line or they think the wearer is a ****. Truly sad when the same people seem to crave tat and a flashy means of transport on favourable credit terms.

A good friend used to have a supplier of S/S Daytonas in Switzerland near Chur. He used to pick up RHD Porsche 911s from the dealer in the town, a Daytona or two, drive back and double his money tax free. Smart chap. He's retired now - at 60 :)

I bought my seadweller on my stag do in Guernsey years ago and wore it back saving the VAT. A mate carried empty box.

I wasn’t saying you would get caught, but returning from Dubai in itself attracts attention.

I bought my 1st decent watch (a Seiko) from Dubai whilst having a quick holiday there. Cheaper is always nice. How one deals with keeping it cheap on arrival back here is up to each individual.

advertisement

Back