advertisement

new Rega Ania Pro MC cartridge

Recently two new MC cartridges from Rega, what about the future of their MM range ?

Will they continue to build them in-house (not Carbon) or ..?

Vital is Ogura Jewel Industry Co. Ltd. branding for a range of styli (nowadays only supplied as OEM) that are based upon the general claims of improved performance within US patent No.4105212 of 1978-8-8 (expired). Said patent describes a shape that performs as well vertically and laterally as it does at 45º to vertical. Essentially, the maths describe what would result in a shape with further extended elliptical contact along the vertical vs. prior art but makes no mention of any form of polyhedron shape; the latter likely so as to not infringe upon prior patents such as Shibata's Publication of US3774918A of 1973-11-27 (also expired). I do recall Vital tips being referred to as Vital Polyhedron when they were first appearing on the market, though. Goldring's now discontinued Excel VX featured what was described as a Vital tip with r/R of 8 x 40mil. Regardless, Hyper-elliptical does fall within the spectrum of line contact types.

From Ogura Corporate History:
'1978 - Acquired a patent of the vital needle (diamond styli for record player).'

More profit letting employees make MC ?

Or make something else entirely?

I can see how the MM carts might not be very profitable. They're a bit like Linn tonearms in that, after Rega brought out the RB arms, no one else wanted them. They were only sold on Linn turntables.

Rega carts are a bit like that. They are only sold on turntable packages or to existing Rega customers. I've never seen anyone else buy a Rega cartridge. Add the fact they are manufactured in the UK to the small market and I can see how they might not be very profitable and what you say makes sense, the coils might be more so.

It is unfortunate that Rega doesn't introduce boron for cantilever material until the very TOTL Aphelion.

Sounds like a wise move from Rega.
No cartridge over say £200 should carry an elliptical stylus in 2020.

It is unfortunate that Rega doesn't introduce boron for cantilever material until the very TOTL Aphelion.

I did enquire about fitting a boron cantilever as part of my recent Apheta rebuild and was told that while possible it wouldn't have been cost effective.

No cartridge over say £200 should carry an elliptical stylus in 2020.

I disagree. There are pros and cons to all stylus shapes and they are only one of the factors which define the sound. I think buyers should have choices in where they want the compromises made and what sort of sound they want. The DL103 has a conical stylus, it's a very popular cartridge and if you live with one you can understand why.

I disagree. There are pros and cons to all stylus shapes and they are only one of the factors which define the sound. I think buyers should have choices in where they want the compromises made and what sort of sound they want. The DL103 has a conical stylus, it's a very popular cartridge and if you live with one you can understand why.
I did, and don't.

I think low quality/crude stylus profiles are what is responsible for the people who miss "the warmth of vinyl", if that's what some people like then fair enough.

I think low quality/crude stylus profiles are what is responsible for the people who miss "the warmth of vinyl", if that's what some people like then fair enough.

Yes, but it's a bit disparaging to say it that way don't you think? I'd be more positive about it. Music is not just about detail retrieval. Most people do not listen to music on hi-resolution Hi-Fi systems yet vinyl was the dominant music format covering all of what I consider to be the best and most important period in rock and pop music development. I don't think that's just a coincidence. Vinyl works. Or at least it can. If you sanitise it too much to can lose the organic feeling that made it so great in the first place.

There is nothing 'wrong' with simpler stylus shapes. They are less affected by alignment and poor vinyl and will often just get the music out of whatever you put under them. The DL103 was designed for broadcast use and has a conical stylus for a reason.

Yes, but it's a bit disparaging to say it that way don't you think? I'd be more positive about it. Music is not just about detail retrieval. Most people do not listen to music on hi-resolution Hi-Fi systems yet vinyl was the dominant music format covering all of what I consider to be the best and most important period in rock and pop music development. I don't think that's just a coincidence. Vinyl works. Or at least it can. If you sanitise it too much to can lose the organic feeling that made it so great in the first place.

There is nothing 'wrong' with simpler stylus shapes. They are less affected by alignment and poor vinyl and will often just get the music out of whatever you put under them. The DL103 was designed for broadcast use and has a conical stylus for a reason.

It's the implication that this is how all vinyl sounds that I don't like, the warm and diffuse sound that some oldies miss from back in the day isn't solely down to music being on vinyl, it's how it is played back.

It's the implication that this is how all vinyl sounds that I don't like, the warm and diffuse sound that some oldies miss from back in the day isn't solely down to music being on vinyl, it's how it is played back.
Thats what gets me as well, when most people had crap record players, with a ''needle'' you turned to go from lp's and 45's to 78's has somehow become the ''sound'' of vinyl. It was crap then, and it has not changed. It was that bad even cassette tape challenged it.

Thats what gets me as well, when most people had crap record players, with a ''needle'' you turned to go from lp's and 45's to 78's has somehow become the ''sound'' of vinyl. It was crap then, and it has not changed. It was that bad even cassette tape challenged it.

No wonder a DL103 was a significant upgrade!

Thats what gets me as well, when most people had crap record players, with a ''needle'' you turned to go from lp's and 45's to 78's has somehow become the ''sound'' of vinyl. It was crap then, and it has not changed.

If you get close enough to the TV you'll see the pixels.

All recorded music formats are compromised and all have limitations. The important question is how well they hide those limitations or draw the listener's attention away from them. From the sixties through the seventies and well into the eighties, vinyl was the dominant quality format. Despite vinyl's shortcomings, popular music of this era is noteworthy for its diversity and quality. It didn't substantially detract from people's ability to connect with the music and appreciate musicianship and artistry.

Sure, we have more sophisticated turntables today but I think it's a mistake to say that there is no merit simpler systems. It's worth remembering that no one in the seventies, not the artists or producers, heard their recordings played back in the way that is possible today. The technology didn't exist. Which makes a bit of a mockery of the idea that today we are hearing more of what the artist intended! Yes, we are hearing more, and it can be great, but it can also be that we are hearing more 'pixels' that were never intended to be revealed.

What you describe did not become the sound of vinyl, it always was the sound of vinyl and it was not crap. In Hi-Fi terms it might have been lacking but people loved the music on it. That's why it won't go away, despite the fact that most people still don't play it on hi-resolution Hi-Fi systems with Wang-Chung hyper metrabolox styluses!

Sure, we have more sophisticated turntables today but I think it's a mistake to say that there is no merit simpler systems. It's worth remembering that no one in the seventies, not the artists or producers, heard their recordings played back in the way that is possible today. The technology didn't exist. Which makes a bit of a mockery of the idea that today we are hearing more of what the artist intended! Yes, we are hearing more, and it can be great, but it can also be that we are hearing more 'pixels' that were never intended to be revealed.

I'm pretty sure the technology to play back master tapes hasn't improved since the 60s, so clearly the artist could hear exactly what they'd rec

advertisement

Back