advertisement

ATC40 Actives on home dem

Never heard active 40's but I certainly like active 50'S, and if I had a slightly bigger room the 6 pack and NBL's could get worried. DoctorF went from Active SBL's to Active ATC40's so may well have some insight.

I can't say that I've ever felt the ATC presentation was hugely different from Naim's though (assuming its working correctly and the room suits).

If you're getting a big difference one or other isn't right for the room.

No worries and thanks again.

Unless i am missing something how come you’re using RCA out from the 252/Supercap please?
I only have them hone on dem at moment, will check in with dealer next week. I think din to xlr is the better option? I wasn't in when they set them up so not sure on reasoning.

Never heard active 40's but I certainly like active 50'S, and if I had a slightly bigger room the 6 pack and NBL's could get worried. DoctorF went from Active SBL's to Active ATC40's so may well have some insight.

I can't say that I've ever felt the ATC presentation was hugely different from Naim's though (assuming its working correctly and the room suits).

If you're getting a big difference one or other isn't right for the room.
ATC40's are a bigger speaker than SBLs, they go deeper so there is a difference in that respect.

I have a soft spot for SBLs and SL2s. Ran 52/135s (albeit passive) into SL2s around 15 years ago. I’ve had five pairs of SBLs over the years (before and after the SL2s).

I’ve also run Active 50s (with a few different pres and DACs). I’ve never heard 40s though.

Anyway, 50s are in a totally different league to even SL2s. I don’t know, but seriously doubt that activating the Naims would bring them anywhere near the capability of the ATC mid-driver.

I only have them hone on dem at moment, will check in with dealer next week. I think din to xlr is the better option? I wasn't in when they set them up so not sure on reasoning.

Doesn’t DIN to RCA makes more sense here? The XLR input is intended for balanced lines. It is likely expecting a higher input voltage too.

Doesn’t DIN to RCA makes more sense here? The XLR input is intended for balanced lines. It is likely expecting a higher input voltage too.
I expect they set them up like that as that was the cable they had for unbalanced to balanced. It usually requires pin 1 connected to shell at the speaker XLR end to avoid Hum.

Good question. I like the idea of reducing the box count, going active with current speakers will require additional fraim shelves which are not cheap. I feel going to ATCs gives a potentially bigger bang per buck but I ha e a little time to make an informed decision.

I may look at other amp options in the future, potentially an ATC pre, but this is further down the line.

I have had naim only equipment for the last 20 years or so.

IMHO - take a look at this for preamp duties: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=324004250909

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I would second the above. I've not heard the '40's but my '50's really responded to the TEAD Vibe which seemed to have similar strengths when it came to a certain purity.

I'd also agree that it's certainly worth experimenting with optimal positioning which will be tied to your listening position. Good luck.

ATC speakers only accept balanced connection. I believe you can connect from the naim dins via the supercap to them with a specially made up lead. My dealer did mention this but the lead he had may not have been long enough.

My better half said he talked about 'wiring' but she wasn't really listening.

I would second the above. I've not heard the '40's but my '50's really responded to the TEAD Vibe which seemed to have similar strengths when it came to a certain purity.

I'd also agree that it's certainly worth experimenting with optimal positioning which will be tied to your listening position. Good luck.
Yeah, very much one thing at a time on this one. I've had a very stable set up for over 15 years so this is quite a departure potentially.

It is pretty straight forward for me to try an ATC pre.

A great place to start if easy to get a home dem on. Will certainly give you an idea of the benefits (or not) of a different direction.
Yes, they also do Meriden which is different again. I aim to have a bit of fun trying a few different things, if I end up keeping the naim pre then it isn't exactly a hardship.

I'd be interested in how active 40 are performing at late night, low level listening ?

Most of the ATC's I've heard were great cranked up.

I'd be interested in how active 40 are performing at late night, low level listening ?

Most of the ATC's I've heard were great cranked up.
I honestly don't think I've been listening at high levels, certainly lower than when my dealer put a test CD on (according to my better half).

The 40s are supposed to be very good at low volumes, they are designed to be played in domestic environments.. The 50s up, not so..

I run passive 40s (with a NAP 250) and they play fine at low levels – I never feel the urge to turn them up to improve the sound, only if I feel like listening louder. I'd expect the actives to be equally as good if not better at low volumes.

advertisement

Back