advertisement

Next Labour Leader II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
Labour need to understand they have a massive battle ahead and whilst Starmer might not be the ultimate victor, he might be the one who can lead them out of the wilderness. I know Seanm may see my support for him as proof that he’s a centrist, but I’m sure that some of the Northern areas can be brought back into the fold when the promised sunlit uplands don’t appear. A cogent alternative has to be there. A bit of nationalisation great, take back the railways as the opportunity arises. Prove that the national companies are better, then look for other areas. Joint ownership and workers rights, brilliant, those are areas that may soon seem important as divergence from the EU develops. The NHS of course. Stick to that, don’t throw everything up at once, it scares people, and it’s not deliverable. Anyone who’s led anything knows that the status quo is easy, the difficulty is managing change. People are terrified of it unless there’s something very tangible in it for them. That’s why privatisation went well for Thatcher.

I don’t see any of the others being able to what’s necessary and persuade a bitter and divided country to vote for the party.
This is roughly the reason I've just switched my vote on this poll from Phillips to Starmer. I think this year is going to be chaos. Johnson is going to fail to deliver on something significant, and the Tories are going to start looking like the self-interested shower of incompetents we believe them to be, but in a way more visible to more of the voting public.

What Labour needs, if this comes to pass, is somebody calm, competent and consistent. A rock people will come to believe they can rely on. That would go a long way to planting the idea that Labour is electable. We don't need innovative policies, or groundbreaking initiatives, because with the current Tory majority, it would all just be piss and wind anyway. So hold your fire on that, and concentrate on repositioning Labour as a party of competence. That means somebody like Starmer, who is capable of looking like a stabilising influence while all around is going to shit. He might not be the one to lead the party into the next election, or the one to develop the innovative social reform and left-wing initiatives, but that's not what's needed right here right now. What we need is a helmsman who can hold the current course in a storm. Starmer looks like the most likely candidate for that.

What is charisma? And how can you tell how much of it someone has?

Boris has a lot of charisma. Unfortunately he is also a lying, selfish, irresponsible, arrogant, racist sort of chap. Some people think that is OK (as long as he is the right sort of racist of course).

Charisma is an intangible thing but you know when someone has it. Unfortunately it doesn't always get packaged up with integrity, e.g. Clinton.

Charisma is an intangible thing but you know when someone has it. Unfortunately it doesn't always get packaged up with integrity, e.g. Clinton.
I wonder at cause and effect here: charismatic individuals may have less need to behave well as they can get away with more.

I read the most convincing description of what charisma is and how it works and develops.
Charismatic people are described as posesdeong power, presence and warmth.
It can be acquired and learnt. A bit American and NLP, but useful to expliain why the likes of Jobs, Blair etc ooze charisma.

A good read if you are interested.

Olivia Fox Cabane.
The Charisma Myth

Synopsis white board

I've switched to Keir Starmer, I can vote as an affiliated GMB rep, yes I know he lacks charisma, so what but I just think he's the best choice to oppose Johnson in the house of commons. And I also think Becky would be ripped to shreds, sorry but she'd be much better in supporting role but not as leader.

FWIW I think Starmer will be shredded by Johnson. His lack of humour and his lack of good effective confrontational argument will soon be very apparent.

The thing to remeber about Charisma.. is that it is politically neutral. A charismatic leader can mobilise people for good, or for evil.

Now think about that.... and Johnson....

Best we find someone of similar or greater charisma to counter Boris Johnson then. Any ideas?

I have a feeling the Boris' Charisma will not stay the course. We've already seen how he needs to be protected by his lackeys.. even over Iran. How long can that last?

As I said on the 'Stuff the Left' thread. It's folly to wait for that to happen - given his track record and yet, here he is as PM for the next five years, that might not happen. Who's from Labour can be a more attractive alternative to the PM? And, that doesn't mean who has the best policies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back