advertisement

Speaker cable technicalities and related stuff

I've had 5 different NVA amplifiers over the years (from the small stuff up to statement) and totally understand your wanting to stick.

I always found the NVA LS cables was great but Richard quickly tired of talking about alternatives. The truth is many alternatives will be fine but you need to understand the reasons NVA amps require certain things in order to choose. The upshot from NVAs point of view was it was better to adopt 'NVA cables only - or no warranty' as a policy rather than constantly explain things to punters (who then went and bought something inappropriate by mistake, and needed to get their amplifier fixed).

I happily used the NVA cables and then Colin Wonfor designed cables (very low capacitance also) without any trouble at all. But personally I'd just use the NVA stuff.

I can offer a small in-line box to add the required inductance and hence allow any length of any cable to be used with amps such as Naim and NVA for £60 delivered. Slightly larger than a matchbox, with a few inches long flying lead terminated in a 4mm plug and a 4mm socket on the other end.

I can offer a small in-line box to add the required inductance and hence allow any length of any cable to be used with amps such as Naim and NVA for £60 delivered. Slightly larger than a matchbox, with a few inches long flying lead terminated in a 4mm plug and a 4mm socket on the other end.
I can offer the same, for the same price, but they will also be cryogenically treated.....

Presumably, the punter gets told that he/she needs two of, at checkout.:D

TBH... and give all a good laugh... yes I actually did make that mistake!:rolleyes:o_O

So those can be considered as for monoblocks and you need two yes.
I'll do a stereo one for £80.
I can fill the box with soil and claim it has special earthing properties for an extra £500, with certificate of gullibility.

What's the betting that I'll sell non of these but if Russ Abbot made exactly the same thing and charged £400 for it he'd shift loads of 'em....

Anyhow, just in case the banter has confused anyone... it is a serious offer:)

Yes, just needs a catchy name.

Matchbox 20?

Edit: Based on Naim's specified loop inductance of 1.0uH/m x maximum 20m length.

Marketing simply

Ah right! Well I forgot to mention that it will have feet tapping away to the beat with incredible PRaT and give inky black inter-transient silences.... The silence itself shimmers in fact! The compliance of the inductor winding is tuned by ear to provide isolation from negative gravity waves that could adversely effect the sound quality, natch! It was also described to me by the ghost of JV as being, in his opinion, a milestone in flat earth technology:rolleyes:

to answer the op's question,a few years ago i was loaned by richard an nva phono stage and amp to try.i told him i used van damme hifi 4mm speaker cable and he said that will be fine.

The simple answer is speaker cables have different electrical properties, fact. With the wrong cable certain Naim amps will operate poorly. Don't let the fact that you don't understand the science put you off from following the advice of the manufacturer on how to use their product correctly.

Peter Walker, “The most important thing about loudspeaker cables is that they should be long enough to reach the loudspeakers”.

Quad once famously demoed ESL63’s with lawnmower orange cable at a show because that was all they could find shopping around. Everybody was amazed at that mystery cable.

Copper is copper. As Warhol once said about Coke, “A Coke is a Coke, and no amount of money will buy you a better Coke”.

I must get round to try measuring a terminated cable with a series RC of around 50 Ohms and 100nF at the speaker end. In principle this should give a much more resistive load at high frequencies. The high capacitance cables must be in that impedance zone

advertisement

Back