advertisement

Poll : Next Labour Leader.

Who would you like as next leader of the L.P.

• Lisa Nandy

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Keir Starmer

Votes: 88 50.3%
  • Jess Phillips

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • Angela Rayner

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Rebecca Long-Bailey

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Emily Thornberry

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 35 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone currently under the Labour banner will be deemed worse than Johnson unfortunately.

The only hope for a Labour win at the next election will be a seismic failure on the part of this government.
Labour need someone who can match Johnson at the PM questions and in debate. He’s more confident at the moment. For me Starmer is the only candidate with the intellect and gravitas to potentially match him. Looking at the others, they’re either hecklers or lightweights.

Labour need someone who can match Johnson at the PM questions and in debate. He’s more confident at the moment. For me Starmer is the only candidate with the intellect and gravitas to potentially match him. Looking at the others, they’re either hecklers or lightweights.
I agree about Starmer but how many of the electorate watch pm questions. I would guess not many. I don't agree re other members. Lisa Nandy is my shout but never going to happen. Starmer has it won already.

The country does not need a showman who offers much but delivers little, it needs someone who is believable at this point & someone who can gather momentum come the next election as most who vote care very little about the in between. It's just the reality of the situation. It also needs Boris to fail of course.

The ability to look convincing on the TV, whether on PM or the various politics programmes is incredibly important. It sank Corbyn. Johnson didn’t even have to turn up.
Problem is, Boris has a knack of making blatant lies seem like the gospel to the electorate, as has been proven, regardless of Corbyn's inability to put over his message. I don't want another Blair, someone who could certainly outshine pretty much anyone in parliament. That worked out well.

Problem is, Boris has a knack of making blatant lies seem like the gospel to the electorate, as has been proven, regardless of Corbyn's inability to put over his message. I don't want another Blair, someone who could certainly outshine pretty much anyone in parliament. That worked out well.
Blair was in another league. I used to enjoy his debates with Hague. Two equally competent and charismatic opponents.

Internal party politics is a massive turn off for the electorate, it
Please don’t wink like that, it comes across as a really passive aggressive attempt to be condescending. I’ve noticed it a lot recently, especially from those on the right (much as I realise that you wouldn’t say you were).

I don’t agree with that claim though. Labour members don’t exist in a vacuum, and discussions such as this can surely factor into their thinking about which way to vote. My GF will probably get a vote, but that doesn’t mean we don’t talk about this stuff just because I’m not a member. The ‘we’ I had in mind is all of us who care/pay attention, not just party members.
The 'wink' is to show that it is a light hearted comment & it's not meant to cause offence. The opposite of what you interpreted. I use it all the time with my peers, who are a very mixed bunch.

I went out of my way to not offend but did so anyway. Can't win.

I decided on the 13th I’d rejoin the party, after Corbyn said he’d go. I believe this will give me a say. I’m really saddened by Lewis’s pronouncement today about a referendum, because a show like that will drag him down and out. It’s not what the party needs. We need above all a John Smith character. Someone who the country can believe. We need someone who can come up with a viable stance that’s believable and achievable. Someone who can communicate that vision. Someone as untainted by Corbyn as possible. To my mind Starmer’s supporting if Smith is an advantage in this area. He’s also likely to be on top of his brief, and seems eminently sensible.

Labour need to understand they have a massive battle ahead and whilst Starmer might not be the ultimate victor, he might be the one who can lead them out of the wilderness. I know Seanm may see my support for him as proof that he’s a centrist, but I’m sure that some of the Northern areas can be brought back into the fold when the promised sunlit uplands don’t appear. A cogent alternative has to be there. A bit of nationalisation great, take back the railways as the opportunity arises. Prove that the national companies are better, then look for other areas. Joint ownership and workers rights, brilliant, those are areas that may soon seem important as divergence from the EU develops. The NHS of course. Stick to that, don’t throw everything up at once, it scares people, and it’s not deliverable. Anyone who’s led anything knows that the status quo is easy, the difficulty is managing change. People are terrified of it unless there’s something very tangible in it for them. That’s why privatisation went well for Thatcher.

I don’t see any of the others being able to what’s necessary and persuade a bitter and divided country to vote for the party.

That's the lesson you're taking from recent events? 3 years of clown car jokes and the butt of them's handed a thumping majority: "Yes, yes, you see? The People just want to see competent management!"

My take is that lots of people feel disenfranchised, and at the same time want to see a politics based on values. It's not very original theory, it might be wrong, but it's less counter-intuitive than this competent management stuff.

That Johnson is a man who gets things done is something I’m hearing a lot, from people that voted for him i.e. the people the Labour Party needs to win over. Not all are Brexiters either but they prefer Brexit to Corbyn. The clown car jokes come from people who would never vote for Johnson in a thousand years; he doesn’t need them, as he won easily anyway.

I decided on the 13th I’d rejoin the party, after Corbyn said he’d go. I believe this will give me a say. I’m really saddened by Lewis’s pronouncement today about a referendum, because a show like that will drag him down and out. It’s not what the party needs. We need above all a John Smith character. Someone who the country can believe. We need someone who can come up with a viable stance that’s believable and achievable. Someone who can communicate that vision. Someone as untainted by Corbyn as possible. To my mind Starmer’s supporting if Smith is an advantage in this area. He’s also likely to be on top of his brief, and seems eminently sensible.

Labour need to understand they have a massive battle ahead and whilst Starmer might not be the ultimate victor, he might be the one who can lead them out of the wilderness. I know Seanm may see my support for him as proof that he’s a centrist, but I’m sure that some of the Northern areas can be brought back into the fold when the promised sunlit uplands don’t appear. A cogent alternative has to be there. A bit of nationalisation great, take back the railways as the opportunity arises. Prove that the national companies are better, then look for other areas. Joint ownership and workers rights, brilliant, those are areas that may soon seem important as divergence from the EU develops. The NHS of course. Stick to that, don’t throw everything up at once, it scares people, and it’s not deliverable. Anyone who’s led anything knows that the status quo is easy, the difficulty is managing change. People are terrified of it unless there’s something very tangible in it for them. That’s why privatisation went well for Thatcher.

I don’t see any of the others being able to what’s necessary and persuade a bitter and divided country to vote for the party.
I think Starmer should lead but he’ll need someone like Jesse Phillips perhaps to win the lost vote. In this combination she may be effective.

John Smith type would bebperfect. Finding one is the challenge.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment. Johnson said he'd get Brexit done, he got the 'deal' through parliament where May failed over a protracted period. On the surface he's a winner.

It will probably all go to shit but he has confounded a few predictions so far.

Anyway back to Labour, we need a positive message, aspirational, modern, forward thinking etc. Yes these are buzz words but no one wants to be constantly told how bad things are & how hard the future will be. The above is all a bit 'new Labour', God I hated that term but it worked.

I am not convinced about Jess Phillips, she looks a bit too much like a dinner lady ut what do I know. Probably nothing.

Blair was in another league. I used to enjoy his debates with Hague. Two equally competent and charismatic opponents.

The judgement at the time was that Hague regularly swept the floor with Blair. Fat lot of good it did him. We forget, because parliament has had drama these last few years due to minority government, how little watched it is in normal times, and how little it interests the public. Well, normal service is now resumed. With bells on.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment. Johnson said he'd get Brexit done, he got the 'deal' through parliament where May failed over a protracted period. On the surface he's a winner.
Boris will be judged in December by those who voted purely on Brexit terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back