advertisement

new Rega Ania Pro MC cartridge

I don't like the red body. Looks too like a deformed 2M Red.

How much was the old cartridge? Is £750 not a price hike?

Thanks for the clarification Dave, yes it an all new cartridge with the cantilever and the diamond stylus of the outgoing Apheta 2, so......

Can I ask what a Vital profile is? Does it correspond to something like a microline or Shibata, or is it something else?

Thanks for the clarification Dave, yes it an all new cartridge with the cantilever and the diamond stylus of the outgoing Apheta 2, so......
Cool, I was in my local dealership just yesterday discussing cartridges and this one hadn’t been announced at that point, this could be a real contender!

Cool, I was in my local dealership just yesterday discussing cartridges and this one hadn’t been announced at that point, this could be a real contender!

I'm in the market for a new cart but I don't fancy playing guinea mr pig. There aren't even any reviews yet so who knows what it sounds like. Be interesting to see how it is received though.

I'm in the market for a new cart but I don't fancy playing guinea mr pig. There aren't even any reviews yet so who knows what it sounds like. Be interesting to see how it is received though.
I’d definitely listen first, and it’s going to be a few weeks before I have the cash to spare... I like the idea of a cartridge that sits between the Ania and Apheta in price and performance too. There are other contenders, such as the Audio Technica OC9/ML, OC9/SH, Hana SL, Dynavector 20/x2 etc.

I’m quite smitten with the Planar 10/Apheta 3 and there’s a good bundle deal on them as a pair but I won’t be able to swing that for a good while... if I do get one though, I think it’s a deck I’ll keep for a long time (I can’t say final deck, I’m 36. )

Can I ask what a Vital profile is? Does it correspond to something like a microline or Shibata, or is it something else?

I think it's what was once called a hyper-elliptical - a flatter elliptical - not a fine line though.

I think it's what was once called a hyper-elliptical - a flatter elliptical - not a fine line though.

Had a few Linn carts with vital tips and it seems a pretty likable thing to me. I don't get too excited about super, hyper stylus profiles as I think they can be more hassle than they're worth. Harder to align, more sensitive to record quality, more surface noise and the plus side is that the few perfect records that you have sound slightly better?

First used by Rega on the (much underrated) Exact in 1992.

Not sure it's so underrated. I've only heard good things about the Exact.

To quote Rega on the Exact from their website - "Complex fine line micro-ground from a rectangular diamond billet".

advertisement

Back