advertisement

Anyone compared high end Class D power amps?

Any thoughts on here about if the high frequency limit in the individuals hearing range has any bearing on perceived quality of class d ?

Any thoughts on here about if the high frequency limit in the individuals hearing range has any bearing on perceived quality of class d ?
In addition to this I believe I'm correct in saying that class d amps have a zobel network on their output to give the desired high frequency balance. Often 6R will be chosen as the target loudspeaker load. IIRC the OP uses speakers of about 12R. Mine are 14R - they are fine with class d but as Ian G suggests my hearing range won't be up to snuff..

I've tried Hypex, Neurochrome, Gato, Lyngdorf, Bel Canto (ref1000) and most likely a few others I can't recall right now.
I've also tried the Bantam Ones. They were plugged into a PSU that cost more than both mono's mind, but like you, I couldn't believe how good they were for the money.
Right in the mix for sound overall and in a league of their own for value. If their power is sufficient.

In addition to this I believe I'm correct in saying that class d amps have a zobel network on their output to give the desired high frequency balance. Often 6R will be chosen as the target loudspeaker load. IIRC the OP uses speakers of about 12R. Mine are 14R - they are fine with class d but as Ian G suggests my hearing range won't be up to snuff..

Some do, some don't. The more modern ones that include the filter choke in the feedback path don't need a zobel network, and are happy driving very low impedance loads.

I've tried Hypex, Neurochrome, Gato, Lyngdorf, Bel Canto (ref1000) and most likely a few others I can't recall right now.
I've also tried the Bantam Ones. They were plugged into a PSU that cost more than both mono's mind, but like you, I couldn't believe how good they were for the money.
Right in the mix for sound overall and in a league of their own for value. If their power is sufficient.

Thanks wainw. So in your experience the Temples were right up there? Also interesting is the PSU’s for Class D are vital and a really good quality PS can be the difference....? I have Temples more expensive PS’s....it might be worth trying a better PS and see what difference that makes.

The best one I’ve come across so far is the Uptone JS2, might be worth getting another one for a try...although whether it has enough juice is another matter....

Cheers HFN

How did you rate your Ref 1000’s? You seem to have some pretty tasty amps in your time....

really enjoyed them , very organic sound . would have them back anyday [ the modded ones ] the fact the chap i sold them to had them for a good many years is testament to their staying power

they were bettered by the belles mb100 power amps and that was bettered by the msb s200 which was the best amp i ever had . however those days are gone for a bit so down to humble amps costing very little and thoroughly enjoying discovering little gems at little cost

...... however those days are gone for a bit so down to humble amps costing very little and thoroughly enjoying discovering little gems at little cost

Now that can be fun, there's a good few gems out there (Yam AS501, Nad 325bee, the low cost class D amps, Grundig etc - they'll probably be at least 90% as good as all the £££ aforementioned ...).

Unfortunately the only Temple PSU I have is the one I have inside the Bantam One but it’s not lacking. Sean’s DC3 is a beast. If you’re in London or near I’d happily bring it round (it’s dual 18V for the monos) but I don’t fancy posting it. And I see he’s developed a DC4...

Haha, you’re in Belfast. Email Sean, I’m certain his DC4 would transform the Temples.

Cheers Alex you’re a gent, but I’m across the water so....
I’ll given Sean a ring in case he has anything knocking around for a dem....

I never tried the Bantam mono's without the upgraded psu. So I do not know how much of an upgrade in sound it offered.
I was also impressed with a Devialet 250 for a while when they first came out. Just didn't quite match well with my very detailed (Utopia) speakers at the time, so was easily seen off by a warmer sounding Luxman amp.
Overall I have found that Class D is great with larger speakers with more complex crossovers. Once I moved on to a pair of much simpler speakers the difference between amps became clearer. I then started to find Class D to have a bit of an edge to the sound when turned up. I have no doubt there were many other factors to this, not least my far from optimum sparsely furnished room. However, this edge pushed me towards Class A amps, which I now prefer if the speakers aren't too thirsty for power.
The only Class D amps that I have tried that do not have this edge are maybe Neurochrome (but this was in a complex open baffle active system, so difficult to isolate), Temple Audio Bantams and Spec Corporation.
I had the Bantams a couple of years ago and the Spec amp now, so have not compared back to back. I have a feeling though that the Bantams perhaps didn't have that last ounce of detail which is why the edge to the sound was absent. Whereas the Spec amp has all the detail, without pushing it to the forefront. A more sophisticated sound if you like. Then again it does cost around 20 tines more. So definitely a case of the ever present law of diminishing returns in hifi again.

The only Class D amps that I have tried that do not have this edge are maybe Neurochrome (but this was in a complex open baffle active system, so difficult to isolate), Temple Audio Bantams and Spec Corporation.
Hi,
Not sure what Neurochrome amplifier you are referring to, but their current offerings are all class A/B. Perhaps this is why there is no "edge", since they are not class D ?.

https://neurochrome.com/

Regards,
Shadders.

Cheers Shadders. That would certainly explain it!

With regard to the Bantams. They are one of the very few (1or2) sensibly priced components that I have listened to and simply thought:
Why would you need anything more? and the answer, from any sane person has to be; You don't.

I think they do lack the last n’th of detail. The better and more expensive the PSU the more they reveal. Being sold direct doubtless helps the price as does the lack of badge appeal. You could easily spend £10k and do worse IMO. In the past I have.

After reading this thread, I'm becoming increasingly tempted to take a punt on these Temple monoblocks*. I currently run a Primare i32 (which I would use as a Pre) which is class D, to a pair of LS50s. I do enjoy this combo's clarity and detail (at least compared the the Primare's predecessor, a Naim Nait 5i-2). I fear slightly that the Temple monoblocks might be a side-ways step, but I'm getting the impression from comments on here, that I would notice a significant rise in performance. Any thoughts on this as an 'upgrade' to what I already have?

*I had decided to not spend any more money on Hi-Fi this year, but almost making it through the first two weeks of January can't be classed as a total failure?

I think they do lack the last n’th of detail. The better and more expensive the PSU the more they reveal. Being sold direct doubtless helps the price as does the lack of badge appeal. You could easily spend £10k and do worse IMO. In the past I have.

Thats exactly where I’m at. Maybe Class D works well with high efficiency horns by nature or they’re just really good full stop...
The Temples are fantastic, the only down side to them is a slight hardening of the sound as the volume is cranked up. But IME power supplies are the first thing to smooth out the sound. Whether that’s due to reducing noise I’m not qualified to comment, but that’s my guess.

I’ve sort of decided to go two routes and see what’s best. I’m going to try to get a hold of a pair of Bel Cantos and also the PSU that Alex has recommended.

Vinylslug

My gut tells me that the standard Temple monos might be a sideward step or very slightly better. It’s when you add the power supplies (heres where you go from £500 to £1000) that you notice a big difference.

However, Temple are very good at letting you try first, just pay up front and money back if you don’t like them....

advertisement

Back