advertisement

Old Technics SL1200 vs New version?

So big thumbs up for the KAB Fluid damper and so far the GR/G, but still not heard anyone who has compared them side by side with an older modded 1210Mk2/5 ?

You buy direct, very painlessly. Too early to know if I’ll face a customs charge.

1210 GR here and I am very happy with the deck. I also have a Gyro SE.a
I owned a modded 1210 Mk 2, AO Rega RB 250, great turntable.
I sold it on and changed it for a complete Townshend Rock mk 2 which bettered the techie in nearly every way imo.
The GR feels extremely solid which bearing in mind the older MK 2 didn’t exactly fall apart is reassuring.
Very happy with what I have but I have a itch for a SL1200/1210 G which I don’t think will go away.

Re KAB fluid damper - I didn't get a customs charge on mine and it only took about a week to arrive.

Does anybody on PFM have a pair of these and actually dabble in a bit of the wheels of steel??

I did, but moved onto Numark CDs instead.

Still going strong.....plus CDJ's.

49350765658_dd5766dbb6_z.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/farfromthesun

So big thumbs up for the KAB Fluid damper and so far the GR/G, but still not heard anyone who has compared them side by side with an older modded 1210Mk2/5 ?

You should contact the people from Ammonite Acoustics ( https://ammonite-acoustics.co.uk/ ), who make very high quality arm-boards for the Technics decks. I believe that Hugo from there, has experience with the older decks, and also the new GR/G decks. IIRC he said that the new decks are a big step forwards from the older decks, also he said that the GR is very close in performance as a motor unit to the G.

(I suspect that the magnesium alloy tonearm on the G makes it very good as a complete all in one, simple fit-n-forget package.)

I have no connection to Ammonite, I have simply purchased one of their mounting collars for the Jelco SA-750D in the past.

(IMHO, probably the sweet-spot in terms of value is a new GR fitted with one of the new Jelco arms (TK-850))

1210 GR here and I am very happy with the deck. I also have a Gyro SE.a
I owned a modded 1210 Mk 2, AO Rega RB 250, great turntable.
I sold it on and changed it for a complete Townshend Rock mk 2 which bettered the techie in nearly every way imo.
The GR feels extremely solid which bearing in mind the older MK 2 didn’t exactly fall apart is reassuring.
Very happy with what I have but I have a itch for a SL1200/1210 G which I don’t think will go away.
I’ve got a gyrodec but have the urge to change to a 1200gr. How do they compare?

You should contact the people from Ammonite Acoustics ( https://ammonite-acoustics.co.uk/ ), who make very high quality arm-boards for the Technics decks. I believe that Hugo from there, has experience with the older decks, and also the new GR/G decks. IIRC he said that the new decks are a big step forwards from the older decks, also he said that the GR is very close in performance as a motor unit to the G.

Thanks for the info.

Your deck looks fantastic. How does the Jelco compare with the stock arm on the 1200G ?

It worked better with the Koetsu I’m using than the stock arm, which is much lower mass. I used to also have a Kiseki Blue NS, though, which for some actually worked better with the stock arm than the Jelco.

The Jelco does make it easier to get the vta correct because it goes lower than the stock arm. With stock arm, I never felt the vta was low enough with the Koetsu or the Kiseki.

Did you compare it to other mats, like the standard/black Auditorium 23? I’ll keep my Sound Dead Steel thing but could do with a thin mat on top instead of the neoprene one that comes with SDS. It picks up static.

advertisement

Back