advertisement

Chris Packham: Forever Punk

BBC nature presenter/campaigner gets an hour on BBC4 next Friday (17th) to discuss his punk roots and influences (BBC). I look forward to this as he’s always got an interesting perspective on things and his dropping Clash song titles or whatever into AutumnWatch is always amusing.

PS He is well worth following on Facebook, Twitter etc, certainly one of the good guys and he is getting a lot of vile abuse and harassment from those who enjoy violence towards animals, e.g. he had a dead fox left on his doorstep recently, has had crows hung from his fence etc. Some really vile stuff that deserves spotlighting and the wider public supporting him.

My TV guide says it's on Friday 10th, ie next Friday.

Noted
Seconded. Seeing them in Leeds at the end of the month (at an oddly small venue).

Saw them after they'd released Pink Flag which Peel played a lot. I was obsessed with the track 'Manequin' as a yoof. Must dig it out.

...I see they are playing the Fleece and Firkin at end of this month - wonder if they still have 'it'

Saw them after they'd released Pink Flag which Peel played a lot. I was obsessed with the track 'Manequin' as a yoof.

One of my friends used to busk it on acoustic guitar. Got some strange looks due to the lyrics for sure!

Noted

Saw them after they'd released Pink Flag which Peel played a lot. I was obsessed with the track 'Manequin' as a yoof. Must dig it out.

...I see they are playing the Fleece and Firkin at end of this month - wonder if they still have 'it'

All the venues are small. This bodes well for the audience (I am able to brag to better half that I've actually played on the same stage as the one they're playing on in Leeds), but worries me a bit for the band's fortunes.

Only other times I've seen them live were at the Barbican in 2003, which was a superb spectacle, and supported by Hot Chip at Heaven in 2013, which was also superb if more sweaty.

I saw them back in the ‘80s when they were doing the more electronic stuff on Mute Records, quite late on, maybe around Manscape, I can’t remember. It might even have been during the Wir phase when Robert Gotobed had taken a rest. I certainly remember the drums being predominantly electronic.

All the venues are small. This bodes well for the audience (I am able to brag to better half that I've actually played on the same stage as the one they're playing on in Leeds), but worries me a bit for the band's fortunes.

Only other times I've seen them live were at the Barbican in 2003, which was a superb spectacle, and supported by Hot Chip at Heaven in 2013, which was also superb if more sweaty.

Fleece is just such a place. Small sweaty. Long bar.

Are they all in original lineup?

Bristol blessed with good small venues for the warm ups.

Best I saw was Dave Johanson and co the Thekla. in 2008

Gods.

If it crops up on the Sounds app or wherever, Chris Packham’s edition of My Teenage Diary is worth a listen, esp. his relationship with a bird of prey IIRC.

Interesting to hear about his punk programme, I was at a GBH gig just over a week ago and that kind of stuff has been on my mind lately. Even though I doubt much in the vein of Discharge (the punk stuff I enjoy) will be on the programme, I’ll make a note to watch it. Curious to see what Alan Moore has to say about it.

By the way, great review of the new Wire album Mind Hive and short interview with Colin Newman in the latest Record Collector.

By the way, great review of the new Wire album Mind Hive and short interview with Colin Newman in the latest Record Collector.

"Silver/Lead" was one of the worst Wire albums I've heard for a long time (and I'm also a longstanding Fall fan,so disappointment Is no surprise) coupled with that weirdly heavy recording technique.

Really? I loved it. Diamonds In Cups and Sleep On The Wing are two of my favourite things they’ve ever done.

One of those "I was There" Incidents.. But I was there.. .. Red Cow .. Hammersmith .. Sunday night.. Wire.. Residency .. 1978? 9?

Windows being smashed in by a bunch of mental Teddy Boys outside? Everyone took cover under the tables and some people went even more mental with bottles and glasses in retaliation outside...

Seems Like some sort of Weird Dream now ....Pretty sure the band would remember "that night" though.

advertisement

Back