advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
James May in Japan on Prime is, for the most part, okay. But the episode on Tokyo is definitely worth watching if only to see his translator and guide in action as well as the digital art museum - the latter of which is simply sublime!

In which episode does James build the Ghosn escape pod?

I knew it would potentially get messy and less enjoyable, but I wasn't expecting season 4 to be as bad as this. After I watched the first episode last night I had to look online and see what sort of reaction it has received, obviously avoiding spoilers, I wasn't surprised to see it getting universally panned.

I really enjoyed S1 and S2, S3 was OK when it got going. I'll obviously watch it as I'm invested now and want to see it through etc. but ye gods...

It really does really get better. Got bored after the first two, but persevered. I’m glad I did. I didn’t see the ending coming-which is rare for me!

Stephen

Frontier on Netflix is very enjoyable. It’s a tale of fur traders in 18th C Canada set around the Hudson Bay Company. The photography in some of the wild scenes is wonderful, some of the sets less so, but as a whole it has a feel of authenticity that offers an insight into what life might’ve been like. It also has the advantage of being fictional, so historical inaccuracies don’t get in the way of what is a dramatic over the top story, though the portrayal of the indigenous tribes does seem accurate.

Above all, it’s addictive. What more do you want?

Now part-way through Season 3 of The Crown. I thought Claire Foy would be a difficult act to follow, but Olivia Colman manages very well as the older Elizabeth. Last night's was funny - the (in)famous "we're just plain folks" documentary and the desire to bury it, and the arrival on the scene of Philip's mother, Princess Alice of Greece, in her grey Orthodox nun's habit.

Alice was an interesting character, great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Also a Righteous among the nations, as I understand it, the highest honour Israel can give a non-Jew:

https://www.yadvashem.org/righteous/stories/princess-alice.html

Now part-way through Season 3 of The Crown. I thought Claire Foy would be a difficult act to follow, but Olivia Colman manages very well as the older Elizabeth. Last night's was funny - the (in)famous "we're just plain folks" documentary and the desire to bury it, and the arrival on the scene of Philip's mother, Princess Alice of Greece, in her grey Orthodox nun's habit.

I'm halfway through series 3 and for whatever reason I'm not enjoying it as much as the previous 2. Perhaps because it's entered into events that I have a reasonable memory of. Colman is very good though, and what a dysfunctional family.

Mrs ian123 and I really enjoyed Icarus - Netflix doc about an amateur cyclist who wanted to stress test drugs in cycling by first hand action and ended up embroiled in Russian lab and WADA action. Pretty good documentary I think and slightly scary / edgy. Was this really real?

I was a bit disappointed in The Great Hack which I finally got around to watching. Don’t know why, just didn’t seem to rise to the subject for me.

Last edited:
Just finished watching "WW2 in colour" on Netflix.

The brutality was just out of comprehension. some bits were tough to watch, and I don't flinch easily. A whole new outlook on the sacrifices made.

I’m currently rather enjoying The Expanse in 4k. Rather more complex in plot/arc than the typical TV sci-fi series, which is annoying as you need to pay attention rather more (I half watched the first three episodes, got to the fourth and realised I hadn’t the slightest clue what was going on, so started again!). It is rather good though. I’ve just started series 2 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back