advertisement

Weird car related post

MichaelC

pfm Member
Very odd the other morning. Mrs C was popping out and jumped in the B6 and within a matter of hundreds of yards the engine was running rough and a warning light came on and the car went into limp home mode. She stopped the car and turned the engine off to call me about what happened. Anyhow, she turned the engine back on and all was fine. Having said that, the experience was alarming enough for Mrs C to turn back home. Duly parked up and jumped into the XK8, only to find after a very short distance the engine was not sounding right and the low coolant warning light came on. She drove straight back home.

I took a look at the Jag, the coolant level was fine. I took it out for a longish drive around the block and everything was fine. I took the B6 out, and did the same. Everything was fine. I drove the B6 40 odd miles yesterday with no issues. I took the Jag out this evening, again with no issues.

For both cars to throw up one off faults in quick succession on the same morning is just too bizarre for words.

Ideas on a post card please!

Climatic conditions (dampness perhaps) affecting critical sensors? Rana might be along in a moment to offer a more enlightened perspective.

Had both cars been moved a very short distance the previous time they ran, such as swapping them around on a driveway?

Buy a cheap EML327 based OBD2 reader*, and relevant software for phone. It'll allow you to read codes (inc anticipated, non-recorded issues) for pennies - well, under £20 - for anything made after 2001.

My guess? Cars gone nowhere, in a week or more, and sensors confused by use such as MikeP suggests above: short, rich-run shuffle, in which time (amongst other things) atmospheric pressure has moved a lot in the UK. If they run fine now, don't worry about it.

* on iphone, pick a wifi unit and use 'DashCommand' software is my suggestion; for everything else - and it is available for iOS - ' carscanner' software is brilliantly-comprehensive and free! But not as powerful/configurable as dashcommand, if you have an iphone.

OBD readings would be my first port of call, but be aware the manufacturers test kit may give a more detailed read out of any faults than a £20 one off the bay.
What was the outside temp, was it damp outside, did both cars have the required anti freeze in the cooling system. Lots of questions!

Maybe it’s Brexit! (Dives for cover!)

Playful poltergeists - that is a possibility. Actually, reading the above, both cars have been on the drive, rather than in the garage (which the builders had taken over for the past two months) and not a lot of use points to the issue. I guess some good long drives in both is the answer. Funnily enough our daughter’s Astra has exhibited no issues and has had the most use over the past two weeks.

Quite.
Time for the Italian tune-up (get the plugs, cats and sensors properly-hot) - you'll enjoy the process in those two fine choices :D

Oh I will. I will give the Jag a good run this weekend. And next week, Wednesday or Thursday, I’ll take the B6 on a run down to the Cotswolds...

Sorry for being slow but as I see it the common element in all of this is your Missus. Nothing untoward happened when you drove both cars. Ban your wife from driving both cars and inform your insurance company. The money saved you can put towards a nice frock for the wife as way of consolation.

Here's another weird car related post. 200+ cars torched in Strasbourg this New Year's Eve.
I'm not sure that meets the criterion for 'weird car-related post' ... simply looks like arson to me: which is political, not onboard misbehaviour... (unless one allows the inevitable hundreds of jokes about French car electrical systems reliability!)

OBD readings would be my first port of call, but be aware the manufacturers test kit may give a more detailed read out of any faults than a £20 one off the bay.
)
Back in the real world, the manufacturers code reader is operated by a mechanic on bonus who gets 15 minutes pay for each code read and reported. If he gets it read in 5 minutes flat, he's in front. 9 times out of 10 he'll be right.

advertisement

Back