advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're covering more than one time period without explicitly saying it up front. Becomes clearer later how they fit exactly.

By the end we loved it BTW.
Yep my lad explained wtf was going on, really stupid decision to do a Westworld tbh as it was just irritating and I almost dropped it as it was effectively gibberish!

Binge watched the Witcher and really quite enjoyed it. Playing the third game to death and being an ace Gwent player helped with the names.

I’m really enjoying Sons of Anarchy, even though I’m over ten years behind :)

Into third season now, it is SO addictive. So much going on all the time, but easy to follow. It’s the classic recipe of bad guys (and gals!) who, though thoroughly bad, try to do the right thing, sort of!

I’ve never been a fan of a rowdy Harley Davison, but watching a gang of thugs thunder down the road has made me think they’re not that bad after all.

Didn’t think it’d be my cup of tea, SOA, but it’s proving to be brilliant, would recommend giving it a try, I think it’s on a par with Breaking Bad and dare I say it, Peaky Blinders.
(The common theme being wrong ‘ens who you can’t help liking :)).

Three Summers on iPlayer now is a lovely film about Theremins, life, culture and Theremins.

Written and directed by (the good version of) Ben Elton—I missed him—it’s really an Australian romantic comedy through and through.

If you like Chris Guest movies (Spinal tap, Best in show etc.) I think you’ll this one too.

Stephen

Last edited:
Just started season 4 of The Man In The High Castle, WTF is this car crash? jesus wept...
But then he promptly resurrected Lazarus (John 11:35)...

We've just finished High Castle, and although the ending is, shall we say, enigmatic, we found it thoroughly enjoyable. Given the nature of the show, it was almost inevitable that there'd be implausibilities and zillions of loose ends and unanswered questions waving around, but I found fascinating this depiction of a creepy alternative world where the Nazis and the Japanese won WW2. The main characters, US Reichsmarschall John Smith and Kempeitai Chief Inspector Kido, are complex mixtures of good and bad, of duty and self-interest. Both have done monstrous things in the name of the Führer/Emperor, but neither are straight-out blacker-than-black pantomime villains, and Smith in particular is wondering about the path he chose so long ago, and he can feel knives in Berlin being sharpened behind his back.

Arthur C. Clarke was fond of quoting Sam Goldwyn's "If ya gotta message, use Western Union!", but High Castle does have the interesting message that, if you embark on a path that is manifestly evil, it can be very hard to reverse direction. One (this one anyway) thinks of the betrayal of the US Constitution and US traditional values by the Republican Party, something of which they always saw themselves as particular defenders, fully in lockstep with Trump. The Weimar politicians made Hitler Chancellor, believing that they could control him and that normal service would be resumed. Have the Republicans out of fear of the electorate made the same pact with the devil? Smith's pact returns to haunt him with a vengeance...

Into third season now, it is SO addictive. So much going on all the time, but easy to follow. It’s the classic recipe of bad guys (and gals!) who, though thoroughly bad, try to do the right thing, sort of!

I’ve never been a fan of a rowdy Harley Davison, but watching a gang of thugs thunder down the road has made me think they’re not that bad after all.

Didn’t think it’d be my cup of tea, SOA, but it’s proving to be brilliant, would recommend giving it a try, I think it’s on a par with Breaking Bad and dare I say it, Peaky Blinders.
(The common theme being wrong ‘ens who you can’t help liking :)).

SOA is absolutely awesome. One of my all time Favourites.

Only beaten by

1) Spartacus - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442449/

2) The Shield - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

3) Vikings - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

Not necessarily in that order either.

Finished 'The Man In The High Castle' yesterday - an excellent series all told. 'The Expanse' and 'Bosch' were enjoyable too as were the first couple of series of 'Goliath'. The third series I thought was weaker. Picking off 'The Witcher' and then maybe on to 'Vikings'.

But then he promptly resurrected Lazarus (John 11:35)...

We've just finished High Castle, and although the ending is, shall we say, enigmatic, we found it thoroughly enjoyable. Given the nature of the show, it was almost inevitable that there'd be implausibilities and zillions of loose ends and unanswered questions waving around, but I found fascinating this depiction of a creepy alternative world where the Nazis and the Japanese won WW2. The main characters, US Reichsmarschall John Smith and Kempeitai Chief Inspector Kido, are complex mixtures of good and bad, of duty and self-interest. Both have done monstrous things in the name of the Führer/Emperor, but neither are straight-out blacker-than-black pantomime villains, and Smith in particular is wondering about the path he chose so long ago, and he can feel knives in Berlin being sharpened behind his back.

Arthur C. Clarke was fond of quoting Sam Goldwyn's "If ya gotta message, use Western Union!", but High Castle does have the interesting message that, if you embark on a path that is manifestly evil, it can be very hard to reverse direction. One (this one anyway) thinks of the betrayal of the US Constitution and US traditional values by the Republican Party, something of which they always saw themselves as particular defenders, fully in lockstep with Trump. The Weimar politicians made Hitler Chancellor, believing that they could control him and that normal service would be resumed. Have the Republicans out of fear of the electorate made the same pact with the devil? Smith's pact returns to haunt him with a vengeance...

I knew it would potentially get messy and less enjoyable, but I wasn't expecting season 4 to be as bad as this. After I watched the first episode last night I had to look online and see what sort of reaction it has received, obviously avoiding spoilers, I wasn't surprised to see it getting universally panned.

I really enjoyed S1 and S2, S3 was OK when it got going. I'll obviously watch it as I'm invested now and want to see it through etc. but ye gods...

Yes, brilliant, thanks for the other recommendations, cheers

The Shield, even though it's a fair bit older than the rest, was and is my favourite of all time. It was gripping throughout.

I thought so anyway but I could be too easy to please.

The Shield, even though it's a fair bit older than the rest, was and is my favourite of all time. It was gripping throughout.

I thought so anyway but I could be too easy to please.
Just had a look, can’t find it without paying, we have Netflix and amazon prime, but looks like it’s rental only, will keep searching

I love the Witcher and watched it twice already but i was an avid fan of the games and books . The Mandalorian was highly enjoyable and was far better than any of the recent films IMHO. The latest season of the expanse was also worth a watch.

I knew it would potentially get messy and less enjoyable, but I wasn't expecting season 4 to be as bad as this. After I watched the first episode last night I had to look online and see what sort of reaction it has received, obviously avoiding spoilers, I wasn't surprised to see it getting universally panned.

I really enjoyed S1 and S2, S3 was OK when it got going. I'll obviously watch it as I'm invested now and want to see it through etc. but ye gods...
As they said in the ancient world, one man's Mede is another man's Persian...

I watched The Report on Prime yesterday, the film about the US Senate Intelligence Committee's report into the CIA's use of enhanced interrogation techniques (that's torture in old money speak) following the 2001 attack on the 11th of September. It has its moments, sure, but sadly it seemed like an infomercial on behalf of the US government to say sorry, we shouldn't have done that and you can trust us from here on out not to do it again. Speilberg would have done it better.

James May in Japan on Prime is, for the most part, okay. But the episode on Tokyo is definitely worth watching if only to see his translator and guide in action as well as the digital art museum - the latter of which is simply sublime!

James May in Japan on Prime is, for the most part, okay. But the episode on Tokyo is definitely worth watching if only to see his translator and guide in action as well as the digital art museum - the latter of which is simply sublime!

I agree about that digital art gallery. Absolutely stunning.

I’ve seen most of the series and enjoyed it a lot. Sure there are the usual “Japan is very strange” segments, but I thought May’s love of the place came through - and there was a lot more to it than J pop. He always comes across as someone I’d enjoy a pint with.

I agree about that digital art gallery. Absolutely stunning.

I’ve seen most of the series and enjoyed it a lot. Sure there are the usual “Japan is very strange” segments, but I thought May’s love of the place came through - and there was a lot more to it than J pop. He always comes across as someone I’d enjoy a pint with.

Yep, I'm a fan of James May myself as he does what he does really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back