advertisement

Hard times for Linn

glad they had the sense to reintroduce the standalone units...

Yep - even Linn can’t afford to keep beating up their customers these days. Charging about about £7k for upgrades to both my DSs and then promptly dropping the products did not exactly endear Linn to me and others. Now, if they could start servicing items like the Kremlin again... they might even rejoin the ranks of decent companies you want to support.

Yes it appears that you are still wrong. Unless this joint quote from Linn/Barclays is inaccurate:

<<The deal will support the development of the firm’s high-end audio products, and comes shortly before Linn debuts an exclusive wireless music system in its flagship Harrods concession in London in October.>>

That's for the Series 3 smart speaker. With two separate articles, and I assume these are sanctioned by Linn, to corroborate.

This conflicts with the above Linn missives. Are the Two newspaper articles inaccurate? I am not a CFO - maybe you are an you work in Linn finance dept - but common wisdom i think suggests that R&D as mentioned by Linn, is not an activity undertaken with short term and expensive overdraft finance.

I am genuinely interested how you proffer the idea that the Barclays finance deal, is for something other than the Co and bank has published. That's against FCA banking regs and would also be deceptive on part of Linn, whose auditors I presume would have something to say about raising mid term finance for short term cash flow?

Please corroborate or expand upon it being an overdraft facility for Linn should they need it for Brexit.

You will note the terminology is 'facility', not 'loan'. I expect you'd not be surprised if newspapers were less than accurate with their reporting.

Well you can choose to believe a press article or a post from a senior Linn employee on another forum. As it is on another forum, so can't link to it.

That's a biggie. 2.3 Terrabits/S throughputs. Better suited to large scale industrial and scientific emulations, Aerospace computational stuff etc, than a few internet streams.

But, if you wanna go from high-end to hyper-end, someone, somewhere would buy it.

Well, they do process room optimisation in real time. Not sure that justifies that level of processing capability, but its certainly a bit more than 'just a few internet streams'

Yep - even Linn can’t afford to keep beating up their customers these days. Charging about about £7k for upgrades to both my DSs and then promptly dropping the products did not exactly endear Linn to me and others. Now, if they could start servicing items like the Kremlin again... they might even rejoin the ranks of decent companies you want to support.
It would be nice if they did. It’s been out of production for 20 years though so I’d say that’s unlikely.

Anything that is actually repairable can still be serviced by Class A HIFI (Darran H), who are an authorised Linn service agent, and it will be cheaper than Linn’s own service rates.

I can repair my own stuff but don’t have the time to do it for others, so I recommend Darran.

That's a biggie. 2.3 Terrabits/S throughputs. Better suited to large scale industrial and scientific emulations, Aerospace computational stuff etc, than a few internet streams.

it.

..processor development, telecoms, cryptography also I suspect the price is really saying “you had better be serious if you want this for development, no time wasters” because it will be an awful lot less from Xilinx in quantity.

You will note the terminology is 'facility', not 'loan'. I expect you'd not be surprised if newspapers were less than accurate with their reporting.

Well you can choose to believe a press article or a post from a senior Linn employee on another forum. As it is on another forum, so can't link to it.

PM me with the link, then it will not be shown in the public forum.

Linn should never have closed down their forum

Agreed. I was watching the Linn forum very closely at the time just before shutdown as a “technical“ issue on the Radikal was being argued about in a volatile thread:
A very expensive LP12 upgrade, the Radikal, that allegedly had a design flaw. The thread ran for ages and Linn never once commented, got involved, denied or offered a solution. It was a seriously poor show on their part, as the LP12 acolytes are their most loyal customers. I was astounded they “tuffed” it out!

The forum shut down round the same time and I’ve wondered if that was a, or the, contributing factor? The same thread ran for ages on the Naim forum too. Equally volatile.

I believe that alleged technical issue couldn’t have come at a worse time for Linn and their LP12 as the Technics SL1200G was in the ascendancy globally.
I can’t help but feel Linn suffered a catastrophic perfect storm scenario on the LP12.

Manufacturers hang their hat on their premium product offering to shift all other stock, if one of those designated products gets a tarnished reputation, there’s knock-on effects.......

I heard a 530 system last week and must admit I was extremely impressed, just wondering if there are any owners here? The space optimisation looks to offer greater control than Meridian’s very average EQ imo.

@JoeJoe, what is the design flaw that the Radikal is supposed to have? I’ve had a Google but can only see mention of the motor housing sometimes touching one of the Trampolin mounting screws - is that what you mean?

If I recall Linn never answered any technical questions posted on threads about their products, it was usually about their software applicatons they commented on when their forum was going.

As for shutting the forum down from what I hear it was nothing to do with any issues they had with their products.

If you are interested you can always go to the WAM forum that has an area for Linn or the Lejonklou forum for info.

Used a Radikal for years without issue, it’s excellent, are sure it wasn’t the latest Lingo 4? I read the other day is having a technical fix done.
I would have said the LP12 is a small part of their business these days, The digital and export business has had the lions share for years.
Their fortune also appears cyclic to me, linked to recent R&D and new product launches, we have had Selekt DSM and the new lifestyle speaker system. So these types of financial swings have occurred several times in the past after such investments and new product launches. It’s normal.

Is there a possible issue with lingo 4?

not heard anything...

I searched a while back and could only see the issue with the Radikal motor hitting off the baseplate of the Urika. Not great but hardly an insoluble problem. I've a Lingo 4 and it's perfect.

Ah that Radikal issue, think it affects a certain batch of old plinth that were slightly under size? Mine is okay.
Lingo 4 comment was on the Wig' forum, wasn't any detail published.

I can repair my own stuff but don’t have the time to do it for others

Wow, I had no idea. I appreciate you are on an incredibly tight schedule but if you could just find time to upload the circuit diagram to, say, the forum Reference area that would be a great help. Any experience of Kremlin alignment would, of course, be most helpful. The depth of knowledge and ability on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Darran must be grateful for the work you pass to him.

Incidentally, McIntosh, based in the US, somehow managed to arrange service and alignment my 45-year-old MR78 from an ocean away. There are also service manuals and schematics. But then they are among the better companies which stand behind their products.

advertisement

Back