advertisement

Amazon Photos

SteveS1

I heard that, pardon?
Having just downloaded all my photos from Flickr Pro following the CEO letter, I'm looking for a new host. Anyone tried Amazon Photos (already a Prime member). It seems to be that or iCloud as options.

I’d take iCloud. Ban Amazon and Google please.

Photobucket and Flickr really shot themselves in the foot.

I couldn't get on with iCloud/iTunes and switched to Google and an Android Phone. I've found it okay for £17.99 / year and 100GB.

Falls at first fence until they (Amazon) sorts the ability to easily arrange photo order within albums. Pretty basic stuff. The search continues.

I really don't see why you wouldn't stay with a service that does everything that you seem to be looking for.

I don't use any photo or cloud service for personal photos, so I don't know anything beyond the CEO claiming the brand can't continue operating at a loss.

Is there something else to it?

I don't use any photo or cloud service for personal photos, so I don't know anything beyond the CEO claiming the brand can't continue operating at a loss.

Is there something else to it?

No, it's not really a concern for someone who doesn't use them. Not sure why you ask.

No, it's not really a concern for someone who doesn't use them. Not sure why you ask.

I'm sorry for requesting clarification, I didn't realize that's frowned upon. I'm only trying to understand what it is about the letter that's compelled you to drop a service given that you answered someone else's question with "have you read the letter?"

I'm sorry for requesting clarification, I didn't realize that's frowned upon. I'm only trying to understand what it is about the letter that's compelled you to drop a service given that you answered someone else's question with "have you read the letter?"

OK an even fuller explanation. The CEOs letter points to the possibility that they will have to pull the plug. I have plenty of scans and photos with them and would not like to suddenly find myself unable to recover them. It may be a small possibility, but having seen that letter one could hardly say there was no warning.

I have downloaded them all and backed them up. For the time being I'll continue the account because the access on all devices in any location with internet access is very useful. I already have an Amazon Prime account so the cost to move would be zero. I don't begrudge paying Flickr for the Pro account but it seems there are not enough of us. The Prime facility looks good but unfortunately wouldn't cut it at the moment because it lacks some basic function.

Doing as you do in isolation wouldn't give me the access and additional back-up solution that I'm happy with.

Yahoo were going to close Flickr if they didn't find a buyer. Smugmug are honest about the situation. Nobody can provide a service without that service being paid for. They just need a few more users - as the letter says.

A better response is to tell all of your friends what a great service they provide - and they do - instead of thinking about abandoning them.

And always keep multiple copies of any pictures anyway.

Stopped using Amazon when they released a (very average) backup app and then dropped support for any 3rd party backup program. The Amazon app left me needing to start again with an estimated 13 days to complete the upload!

I switched OneDrive and kept the 3rd party app.

Google are the real world’s dictators today, unfortunately. I hate using my Chromecast, but what else can you get for so little and that works flawlessly? Mmmm. Compromises ;)

advertisement

Back