advertisement

Naiad - from myth to reality

I don't know. If I spend thirty kay on a record player I think I'd like it to be sitting on something a bit less vulnerable. Dog farts and your deck gets wrecked!

I don't think it has a lid.

And it's Christmas. Christmas!

If the product catches on I’m sure a third party will be along with something that will at least cover the platter and arm. If not wait for the next iteration, they’re probably working on it now...

Jez, I think it’s unfair, in this case, to say the Naiad is a Veblen product. Rega have chosen to pursue certain design tenants to the maximum degree and some of their material choices have resulted in extremely expensive production methods (particularly given the relatively low numbers manufactured). Certainly this kind of mechanical engineering is hugely more expensive than machining an amp case from billet, for example. On top of that you have to add in the usual dealer margin etc. The wall bracket on its own would likely be a few thousand if available separately and Rega have spent years developing their own hardware and software for measuring speed +wow/flutter - they have even designed their own stylus balance.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one Mark! Think of the engineering, materiel's and machining on a £30,000 car!

How much would that car cost if they only made fifty of them?

As someone with a car that they made less than fifty of, I can tell you - approximately £150,000, but as noted, probably even just the door mechanism has more engineering in it than a turntable.

See my response above.

I'm not trying to defend the Niad or justify its price but comparing it to a car doesn't make sense. They are completely different types of product. Personally, I wouldn't spend 30k on a turntable even if I had it to burn but who am I to judge. Pretty much all of the people I know would be horrified by the price of my RP10.

^ It's like watching the first episode of 'Hill Street Blues' all over again...where's the Gravol?

30k is not that much to spend on a car. That's a medium spec family car really. It's a lot to spend on a record player though.

Au contraire. For me £30k would be a lot to spend on a car, I've spent less than £10k (each) on the last three, and that covers the best part of 20 years. My turntable is worth rather more than my car - I've got my priorities straight...

Just arrived, a lower-cost derivative of the Naiad. Sounds fantastic, is really straightforward to set up and is pretty compact.
49281058457_c51b269ab7_b.jpg

49280981522_b87f116bf3_b.jpg

Planar 8 with Alpheta 2.

advertisement

Back