advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

I've also been listening to Gilles Peterson from a few weeks ago - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000bmkg

There is an absolutely remarkable live session with Angel Bat Dawid around the 2hr mark (interview starts after 1hr30, well with a listen too) which includes a jaw dropping rendition of sun ra's enlightenment.

Reactions: kjb
Ok, not new, but new to me. Have been a Billy Harper fan since the days of Capra Black, and just noticed this one on Tidal. An amazing listen - can't recommend it highly enough for fans of post-Coltrane sax-led jazz. Wish it was available on vinyl!

PdPg0FC.jpg

If you're near London he's doing two dates with The Cookers next year at Church of Sound. I saw them the last couple of times they played and they were phenomenal!

I wish! Am sure it will be another great gig. The Cookers are quite a group. Saw them last spring here in Minneapolis at the Dakota Jazz Club, and they were terrific. Billy stayed on alto the entire night, but I would have loved to see him pick up the tenor. Great, driving rhythm section as well. Enjoy the show!

I've also been listening to Gilles Peterson from a few weeks ago - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000bmkg

There is an absolutely remarkable live session with Angel Bat Dawid around the 2hr mark (interview starts after 1hr30, well with a listen too) which includes a jaw dropping rendition of sun ra's enlightenment.

I'd not heard of this before it came up on some end of year polls, then realised tI'd missed some articles in places like The Garden. My finger is ono longer anywhere near the pulse but, now I've food it, I can't stop playing this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V3YS8DD/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Kevin

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Catching up on more new albums from 2019... Jazzmeia Horn's Love & Liberation is great, she has an awesome name, a fine fine voice and a kicking band behind her!

My favourite end of year poll came out last week.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/13/795888693/the-2019-npr-music-jazz-critics-poll

For the last 4-5 years this list has cost me quite a bit of money but has also led to me getting loads of interesting music I'd otherwise have missed. If last year is anything to go by I'm going to pass on a good few ££'s exploring this lot.

It is interesting how many of these artists now work in universities as well as clubs. I love the new jazz but it is, in place, increasingly cerebral. It's never a good sign for me when tunes are described an knotty - too much of an influence from fusion and prog for me. A couple of these that I listened to (Davis, Social Science, Angel Bat Dawid) have a relationship to hip hop that gives them a bit of a groove that connects back to jazz's origins as dance music. The Kris Davis record is amazing: it manages to blend sampling, hip hop grooves, Cecil Taylor, R&B, treated piano and some out there guitar from Nils Cline and Marc Ribot. It's a long way from Blue Note.... and, as the text notes, there are now a lot of women making great jazz.

Kevin

Great to see the Jamie Branch record on the NPR list - I've been playing that loads recently.

From what I've heard of it I'd like to pickup the Tomeka Reid album - though £16 for the CD is making me wince :)

Yeah, the Jamie Branch is very good. (The earlier Fly or Die, also excellent). But then the Frisell/Morgan Epistrophy album make the list at 21, I was a little underwhelmed by that. Chris Potter's Crosscurrents project Good Hope I enjoyed much more, for instanve and that's ranked a complex places lower.

Anyway some good things on the list, I have a few with a few more I'll probably grab soon.

I've been listening to Gilles Peterson's BBC Radio 6 music show every week for years
and still managed to have the excellent Manchester based Matthew Halsall fall
under my radar until a couple of weeks ago.
His brilliant double vinyl album On The Go has a sticker on the cover.
Special Edition
Remixed & Remastered For Vinyl
Gilles Peterson
Jazz Album Of The Year 2012
Plus 3 New Tracks.
I've bought the above and three other of Matthews vinyl albums this month
Two double vinyl and one triple vinyl.
All are excellent and come with quality download codes.

This is one of my favourite played to death new released Jazz 4 LP 2CD box sets
Arve Henriksen
rlp3210-arve-henriksen-the-timeless-nowhere-4lp_19_2019-09-11-19-34-33.jpg

RLP3210 - Arve Henriksen: The Timeless Nowhere (4LP)
PRICE: 799,00 NOK
ADD TO CART

Limited edition 4LP box set, including 2 CDs with all the music.

Liner notes by John Potter of The Hilliard Ensemble.

”The Timeless Nowhere” consists of 42 tracks distributed across 4 individual albums, each with stunning artwork by Kim Hiorthøy and assembled in a sturdy slipcase. ”Towards Language - Live at Punkt” has previously only been available for streaming and downloads, while the 3 other albums consist of brand new material as well as previously unreleased selections from the past 10 years, carefully assembled by Arve into albums that could have been released separately. That said, while showing many facets of an artist on a seemingly unstoppable quest for for discovery and exploration, there´s also a remarkable unity to these tracks, possibly due to longtime collaborator Jan Bang who features across the board in various roles. ”The Timeless Nowhere” fits well into a lineage of albums like ”Chiaroscuro”, ”Places of Worship” and ”Towards Language”, and serves as a great introduction into Arve´s musical universe, at the same time being an indispensable treasure trove for fans and followers.

Towards Language - Live at Punkt
Acousmograph
Captured Under Mountainsides
Cryosphere

Released 01.11.19

Reviews

Artist homepage
Amazon were cheaper than buying from Norway last year but have put the price up by over £20 now.

advertisement

Back