advertisement

A pair of Dynaco A25s.

There’s a great looking pair that just came up for sale in Minneapolis (which I am sure is way too far away for you). Owner is asking $325.

Did you discuss these on another thread? Would be interested in your thoughts, especially how they compare to Harbeth or other BBC-style speakers.

Have been looking for vintage stand mounts to go with my Sansui Eight receiver.

A speaker sold in large quantities in the colonies I believe and much loved but maybe for it's general "verve" than BBC type accuracy... AFAIK a USA "my first proper hi fi speakers I had at college" like maybe our Ditton 15XR's or later Heybrook HB1's in the scheme of things... very common in USA but pretty rare over here I'd hazard a guess...
Remember the KLH 317's anyone? That was a rare occurrence of a VFM USA speaker briefly getting quite a cult following over here... Boston Acoustics A40 had a good go years later....
Edit: Oh and AR18's of course!

Last edited:
There’s a great looking pair that just came up for sale in Minneapolis (which I am sure is way too far away for you). Owner is asking $325.

Did you discuss these on another thread? Would be interested in your thoughts, especially how they compare to Harbeth or other BBC-style speakers.

Have been looking for vintage stand mounts to go with my Sansui Eight receiver.

Yes, I have discussed A25s on another thread.
I didn’t quite realise how good they were when I bought them.
We had an audio shop in the town which sold AR speakers as well as Dynacos.
I really wanted some AR 4x, but couldn’t afford them.
The shop’s Prop. offered me the A25s as they were ex. demo.
They were used with a Cambridge P50.
After a while I was rather talked into buying some Celef speakers and let my brother have
the A25s.
It wasn’t until many years later, when the Dynacos returned to me I realised just how good
they were.
Admittedly they had to be repaired, but later on, sitting in place of my BC1s, they sounded
wonderful.

Sold the A25 back in the day -sold a fair number simply because for $158 a pair I didn't think there was anything to touch 'em in terms of VFM. Effectively probably sold 2X what i think because so many GI's went back to wherever they were serving and bought 'em thru the BX/PX -then had Uncle Sugar ship 'em home for free. I've owned four or five pairs (maybe 6?) over the years-just lovely pleasant sound - not hard to drive even with relatively small amps. Finally bought a pair of their upgraded grandchildren -the A26-from Madisound a few years ago and those are enough better that I've been able to resit A25's for a few years. They are pretty common here in the states and I can't blame anyone who buys a functional pair and decides they are all they need for the next few decades.

The Seas A26 kit really is pretty nice. A friend several years back knocked a set up with some nice ply cabinets. Thought they sounded very good for the cost, made me think at the time of doing the same.

Well, what do you know ?
The pair offered are known to me.

History:
They belonged to my late brother and he had ‘messed’ with them.
I got them running and sold them on.
Then clean forgot all about them...
Now, many years later they’re returning...

They are no LS3/5A, but they have a musicality all of their own.
The bass is ‘full’, but better controlled that a bass reflex speaker of a similar size.
As for the midrange, you could well be disappointed initially.
I would have to say it’s ‘warm.’

The top end is excellent.
Not extended, but open.

The thing to do is just take time and listen to them.
On folk and acoustic music you find yourself immersed after a while.
I put on singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot and just listened and
enjoyed myself.

That’s what it’s all about.
Listening to music...

They are called ScanDyna(co) A25 here. They are a regular feature on the s/h market as they were built in the ScanDyna factory in Denmark. Then the brand name was sold off, after David Hafler wanted only JBL in his portfolio of brands. Dynaudio was founded by disgruntled engineers after this.

Last edited:
That’s what it’s all about.
Listening to music...
Indeed. Thanks for your comments Martyn. Your description sounds remarkably like my Rogers LS4a, which on paper, are not impressive, but listening to music on them, uncritically, is a delight.

Interesting what you say about the LS4as. I was given a pair and wasn’t particularly impressed by begin with.
After living with them they definitely grew on me.
I did sell them, as having too many speakers around doesn’t suit my wife.
She does have 3 or 4 sewing machines though...

In life, I’ve often found things that you’re really impressed with often don’t last.
Mind you, there was an early girlfriend who I was very impressed with.
We’ve been married for over 40 years.

Do let me know if you buy the Dynacos.

In life, I’ve often found things that you’re really impressed with often don’t last.
I have to agree! A lot of new gear I've tried is impressive.
Upon close examination of photos, the 'restored' A-25s have mismatched woofers, with one missing about half of its screw complement! The walnut cabinets are magnificent. Maybe he's hoping they will dazzle a prospective buyer into not noticing the funky woofer....

advertisement

Back