advertisement

Naim Armageddon lighting

Armageddon uses a hicap trafo and both secondary windings are in series to yield the 110v or so to power the motor , I suppose the saftey regs might put a damper on using that many Vs to power the nadi then there is the diode needed to rectify it, perhaps making it not perform too well.

The explanation provided by Naim was that the diode providing the light had a negative effect om sound quality.

Hans

There has never been a illuminated logo on the Armageddon. The official line was that it would degrade the sound but I suspect that it was power dissipation in any dropper resistor or flicker due to AC that would have the problem.

They just couldn't be arsed, rectifiers, smoothing caps, dropper resistors all for an LED. If it bothers you a cheap high quality smps could be fed off the mains input, just make sure it's adequately filtered not to have any effect.

They could have illuminated it with a neon and a 470k resistor. Cost 20p. Series resistor on an LED would generate heat. Say a 5W resistor (20 mA at 240V) is quite chunky and will get warm. Even if a geddon runs on 110V you are still into 2 or 3W.

If that's the reason why not with the hicap?

The Hicap is a DC power supply. Dropping DC to an LED is trivial. The Armageddon is an AC power supply. I guess they didn't want to introduce a DC offset, however small, by rectifying the output.

Theres no need to rectify the feed to an LED, it's a diode. It won't flicker visibly because the response time to emit light is more than 1/50 sec.

Er, no; the reason to is that LED reverse voltage tolerance is unspecified , and usu lousy.
5-7v vDC in reverse will be about the max any LED will likely take repeatedly; and more will kill 'em dead: PN forward biased junctions yes, general purpose diodes, no: not by a long shot

(usu way to protect LEDs in ac applications as well as suitable series R, is just add cheapo 1n4007 in anti-parallel, limiting the reverse voltage to c 0.7v; cost, <1p)

Er, no; the reason to is that LED reverse voltage tolerance is unspecified , and usu lousy.
5-7v vDC in reverse will be about the max any LED will likely take repeatedly; and more will kill 'em dead: PN forward biased junctions yes, general purpose diodes, no: not by a long shot

(usu way to protect LEDs in ac applications as well as suitable series R, is just add cheapo 1n4007 in anti-parallel, limiting the reverse voltage to c 0.7v; cost, <1p)
I didn't know that Martin, thanks. Still, that's an easy fix. The heat from the series R is still a headache though.

I seem to remember the Naim dealer had an LED kit that could be retrofitted to my 'Geddon if I was that bothered about it. I wasn't.

advertisement

Back