advertisement

High Quality Supermarket Olive Oil

mandryka

pfm Member
I'm talking about an oil you use for a dressing, not for cooking. An oil which will not be heated.

Anything special in the big supermarket chains?

Depends on how much flavour you want from it I think.
Full flavoured, as in the best Italian oils, would be Waitrose 1 PDO Chianti Classico oil. Pricey, but really special.
Tesco finest Sicilian is close and about half the price of the above. Best value 'special' oil by a way we thought.
Some way below these in flavour, but a good all round dressing oil is Sainsbury's Toscano PGI.
This info is all from Which mag, some time back. We tried all the above, and now buy the Sainsburys when we are near one. It's much lighter in flavour that than two 'winners' but a faultless 'basic' dressing oil, well balanced IMO.

On the Independent list, we’ve had the unfiltered stuff at £7.50 and it’s very good. That’s in the context of us liking a more robust, rustic flavour. It’s very good dribbled over a classic bruschetta of roasted capsicum and a bit like buttered toast, it needs to be poured until it’s showing through the bottom of the garlic-rubbed toast.
For cooking, Aldi EV is fine for us.

There is no good supermarket olive oil, period.

I buy it online from the organic farmers at La Fare des Oliviers in France. Not cheap though, at € 17 for 75 cl. But entirely worth it—I didn't like olive oil before, and now I love it!

Only you can decide. Do you like the dark green stuff or the lighter yellow oils? Greek, Italian or Spanish? Buy a few and taste them.

I buy it online from the organic farmers at La Fare des Oliviers in France. Not cheap though, at € 17 for 75 cl. But entirely worth it—I didn't like olive oil before, and now I love it!
Not in france maybe, but here in the UK we have much better food these days. Poor old France. Used to lead the world in all things food. What happened? :)

That's interesting. In fact, I don't think I've ever tasted really excellent French olive oil, even in France.

just to note that that Indi list isn't really 'the big supermarket chains' that the OP asked about.

Yes, I want something I can just pick up on the High street I guess. But it's interesting if something can be easily and reliably ordered online.

Any new good experiences? The two I was using as a result of this thread were Waitrose Chianti and Tesco Finest Sicilian -- I was about to reorder some of the Chianti and it's not available. So I thought I'd revive the thread before going for the Sicilian.

I just noticed Oliveira Da Serra recommended by Tuga, maybe I should go for that.

As @stevec67 suggests up-thread - it is all down to personal taste.

I have been buying Tesco own brand extra virgin for several years and it has changed little or not at all in taste - I could quite happily make a meal of that and some nice crusty bread, nothing else. Not bad as a salad dressing oil, but rubbish for cooking most things.

advertisement

Back