advertisement

202/200 better than the 282/250?

Thanks!

Swapping the 202 around with the Ndx (202 now on the top most shelf) made the system sound much better. System sounding too good for me to change anything for a while.

Setup: on quadraspire shelving, from top:
Ndx
Hicap-dr
Xps-dr

I've tried the 282/200 but prefer the 282/250 over it.
I like the way the 250 sounds with a nac72. ;-)

The next time I'm at the dealers, ill consider the SN-2.

I made the mistake of upgrading to 282/250DR/ATC SM19's.

At first, everything seemed hunkydory, but then I changed the speaker stands from inadequate wooden Quadraspires to sand-loaded Atacama HMS2's, as recommended by ATC.

With the speakers working at their proper efficiency level, I found the sheer pummelling grunt of the 250DR really unpleasant. Plus, my listening space is really small - 3.5Mx3.8M - and this presented all sorts of sonic problems.

Although I was now getting bags of detail and wider soundstaging, control of complex information of, for instance, intense fusion music with dramatic orchestral accompaniment (Billy Cobham "Solarization") was just a noise.

Massed choir parts singing at full stretch (ie: "Va Pensiero" from "Nabucco") were just a loud, undifferentiated smear.

Also, unlike "batleys" comment, I didn't like the "space around" the different intruments at all. It just sounded artificial and gimmicky to me but hey - to each their own.

My first move was to re-install my old NAP200. This has immediately improved things to a listenable level, albeit with a slight "honky" bass end which I expect will tighten up after the 200 has had the standard 3-day warmup. It doesn't seem to be having any problem driving the SCM19's.

The lesson here is, I think, simply that if you are used to easy-on-the-ear all-round listening, avoid the 250.

Funk/Rock gut punch afficianados only!

I made the mistake of upgrading to 282/250DR/ATC SM19's.

At first, everything seemed hunkydory, but then I changed the speaker stands from inadequate wooden Quadraspires to sand-loaded Atacama HMS2's, as recommended by ATC.

With the speakers working at their proper efficiency level, I found the sheer pummelling grunt of the 250DR really unpleasant. Plus, my listening space is really small - 3.5Mx3.8M - and this presented all sorts of sonic problems.

Although I was now getting bags of detail and wider soundstaging, control of complex information of, for instance, intense fusion music with dramatic orchestral accompaniment (Billy Cobham "Solarization") was just a noise.

Massed choir parts singing at full stretch (ie: "Va Pensiero" from "Nabucco") were just a loud, undifferentiated smear.

Also, unlike "batleys" comment, I didn't like the "space around" the different intruments at all. It just sounded artificial and gimmicky to me but hey - to each their own.

My first move was to re-install my old NAP200. This has immediately improved things to a listenable level, albeit with a slight "honky" bass end which I expect will tighten up after the 200 has had the standard 3-day warmup. It doesn't seem to be having any problem driving the SCM19's.

The lesson here is, I think, simply that if you are used to easy-on-the-ear all-round listening, avoid the 250.

Funk/Rock gut punch afficianados only!
I'm not entirely surprised to hear that you preferred a 200 in your room/system. ATCs are pretty revealing monitors, and not so small as stand mounters go, and in a small room, might easily be a bit overwhelming. In my system, in a slightly larger room, I find the opposite, and the extra clout of the 250 really works for me. As ever, I'd say that this just goes to show the importance of matching components to suit each other, your room, and your personal tastes.

OP, you are perhaps preferring the sound of an unregulated Naim power amp which many do, the 250 being regulated, it's a much smoother and slower presentation, of course if you believe there is a difference between amps.

In old money as it were, many, myself included and I believe JV as well, prefer the NAP 160 to the 250. You maybe experiencing the same thing.

I have both the NAP 250.2 and the bolt down 160 and surprisingly, I prefer the 160 for its ´live ´ sound compared to his big brother. Don’t get me wrong, the 250.2 is awesome but maybe just a little too polite or more ´ hi-fi ´than the 160.

Actually (redface emoji here) the culprit turns out to have been poor speaker placement.

Brought them out from the room corners, plugged the cables in to the lower inputs, got rid of the rubber grommits from in between the speakers and stand top plates, installed spike shoes. Reinstalled NAP250DR. 3 day warm up.

Et voila. Please excuse my panic.

advertisement

Back