advertisement

Remote Control Repairs???

Another day, another box!
I have a remote control for my Primaluna amplifier that needs sorting. Anyone know of a reasonable professional they can recommend, that is competent with EPROM chipped remote controls?

The alternative is that I get off my behind more often, and we all know how painful that is when you settle in for an evenings listening!

Thank you for any recommendations.

Symptoms? Does it just not work at all (I had one years ago that stopped working because the IR LED soldering was poor) or something else?

Opening the things can be a real pain
Usual faults are battery leakage, the battery connector springs getting dry joints and the carbon button contacts wearing out

I have opened her up and I have a multimeter to check continuity and flow, there is power going from the batteries into the circuit. There is something in the circuit itself and the chips and 'thingy ma jigs' it's not the obvious stuff, so will need a good electronics repair chappie or chappess. Any recommendations appreciated?

I gave up with all my remote controls a couple of years ago and bought a Logitec Harmony 665 universal remote and I just love it, it's fully programmable and the Logitec device database is massive (I just looked and it says it supports PrimaLuna Prologue pre-amps but not sure what exact product you have). My single Harmony remote now controls everything - NAC-N-272/CDX cd player/TV/DVD/CableTV and even my air conditioner!!!! Even if Logitech dont have your device in their database the remote can "learn" IR codes from your existing remote, it's so customisable that the single "system off" button on mine is programmed to turn off the TV and cable box, mute the NAC-N272 and (in the summer) switch the a/c to econ mode. I would seriously recommend this remote for no other reason than to clear the clutter off your coffee table.

You can look to see if the Logitech Harmony remotes support your specific amp at -
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

Slightly off topic, and apologies to the OP, but @Loz828 's experience with his Logitech universal remote reminded me of the Chines CDP remote I once owned. Like the Logitech, it worked with just about everything in the room - except of course it wasn't meant to - and would switch stuff on while simultaneously switching other stuff off, CD drawers would open and close, tuner and TV channels would switch on and change, seemingly at random. At least we didn't have aircon to worry about.

Slightly off topic, and apologies to the OP, but @Loz828 's experience with his Logitech universal remote reminded me of the Chines CDP remote I once owned. Like the Logitech, it worked with just about everything in the room - except of course it wasn't meant to - and would switch stuff on while simultaneously switching other stuff off, CD drawers would open and close, tuner and TV channels would switch on and change, seemingly at random. At least we didn't have aircon to worry about.

Hahahaha - a remote that randomly does stuff it shouldn't - where can I get one? It would make a really annoying christmas gift.

Loz828 very grateful for your suggestions and links, this provides me with an 'out' so will investigate further. Thanks again.

I'd've checked my house wasn't built on a Native American burial ground...

Good recommendation there Mr Loz828. The Logitech remotes are just fab, and Logitech support is excellent.

advertisement

Back