advertisement

Obs + Cats.....

boneman

pfm Member
One of my cats seems enamored by jumping up on my Obelisks. I'm NOT amused. Thankfully no damage but I'm struggling to dissuade her short of covering them in plastic. Anyone have a similar situation with equipment and found a solution?

One of my cats used to love doing that (now deceased, but no connection). He’d stand on top and look at me as he flexed his claws. Made a bit of a mess of the covers. Eventually had them recovered by Phil March at Phonography.

I have seen some Obelisk covers advertised on ebay.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=163235047453
Not cheap once you factor in the postage.

If you can rely on the cat to only jump up whilst they’re not in use you could fashion some pyramid covers from cardboard (like little hats).

No doubt someone will be along soon to tell you to get rid of the cat. Maybe we can dispense with that ‘helpful’ advice by pre-empting it.

Kevin

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So, perhaps Perspex covers with some foam protection where they sit on top of the wood?

P.S. If you’re feeling mean get clear Perspex!

Cats hate citrus fruit. Early on I sliced up a lemon and left it around the perimeter of my La Scalas and that seems to have persuaded my second hand cat not to scratch them (she has taken to scratching some crappy Ikea chair, so I don’t dissuade her from that). Lemon is definitely worth a shot anyway, maybe give them a polish with a stinky lemon furniture polish. She’ll still jump on top of one of the La Scalas in order to jump onto the radiator, but she damages nothing in doing that.

PS She’s not even allowed in the room with the Tannoys!

My slightly scraggy rescue cat (history unknown) was deterred from previous lounge gadgets by use of a small water sprayer when she first moved in. Didn’t know where it was coming from, but a slight Pavlovian learning was established.

At the same time she gets a warmer more comfy place and sacrificial scratching material.

Stick and carrot.

As stated, citrus in ad around works. I also put a crucible with used squeezed lemon wedges around strategic points.

Tis a compromise. Domestic rigour ad perfection (and I am a fussy bugger) vs one-of-the-family.

Anyway our scraggy cat is still easier to manage than teen age daughters.

As suggested above, citrus will dissuade cats. We put a bit of citrus peel in some of the pot plants that our cat likes pulling over, she doesn't go near them now...
We also have a small cat perch scratch thing next to a speaker when she's in and that seems to have stopped her jumping on the speaker and almost toppling it lol

Having had cats in the past and Obs now some thoughts come to mind:
  • Obs don't sit on your lap and purr or scratch you come to that.
  • I would be most concerned about the exposed passive bass radiator at the back of the speaker which would probably seem like a scratch fest to a cat.

Having had cats in the past and Obs now some thoughts come to mind:
  • Obs don't sit on your lap and purr or scratch you come to that.
  • I would be most concerned about the exposed passive bass radiator at the back of the speaker which would probably seem like a scratch fest to a cat.

I've had them for around 5 years and she has never had any desire to actually scratch on them. It's just the view she likes. For the last year or two she never even bothered with them. Just recently figured out the vantage point was good. I think the citrus will be my next weapon. Need to nip in the bud as so far she hasn't done any harm.

Thanks everyone for replies so far!

I once put a trailing vine on one of my floorstanders (with a mat underneath for protection). The plant's growth rate doubled and it had never looked so healthy, which led to speculation about vibration stimulating the root system, maybe?
Either way it was attractive and there was nowhere for a moggy to sit.

we have a rescue cat. Got him when he was on Death Row, literally days to live, with his thyroid whipped out by the vet and shot kidneys. They gave him 2 months to live, that was in February!

First thing he did was to leave a liquid message on the side of one of our Usher floor standers. So we stopped listing to ABBA, and he hasn't done it since.

advertisement

Back